Soon to be chicken mom! Help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stephross, Sep 30, 2014.

1. stephross

stephross Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2014
    Cancun,Mexico
    Hi! I noticed today that one of the eggs that my hen is keeping warm had movement and chirping! When placed near my ear I hear light tapping! How long should I wait for pipping to start? And how can I make sure it's alright? Our first baby chick needed no help And was born overnight so I am clueless,need to mention the shell is a bit thincker than normal eggs [​IMG]

2. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    It could be anywhere from 4-24 hours until they externally pip. They will pip after they run out of air.

3. stephross

Sep 30, 2014
    Cancun,Mexico
    Thank you! This allows me to be more calm! Will monitor constantly nonetheless! [​IMG]

4. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    I would leave it alone. It knows what to do :) I bet you have piping within 24 hours

5. stephross

Sep 30, 2014
    Cancun,Mexico
    Here's the little guy he or she was born a few hours ago brought him inside as ants infested the nest,blood seemed to attrack them everything else seems to be in order

6. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    So glad that he hatched! Although i am not seeing a picture, maybe trying to add a picturea,again? My silkie eggs are on their way and its only day 18, Have one that internally piped and peeping away. Humidity is rising on its on so I suspect s/he is working on the external pip.

7. stephross

Sep 30, 2014
    Cancun,Mexico
    Not so long for you to be a chicken parent either! I've never had a silkie maybe in the future they are so good looking,is hatching them more difficult? I have my hands full between the chick and the quails! [​IMG]

8. kada6305

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    we have one chick who is a week old who is the only one who made it from the last hatch, so hopefully these silkies get here soon so he will have a friend. Lucky is in my avatar. And no, I haven't done anything different. I have 4 different batches of eggs in the incubators right now so in a few weeks I will have my hands full lol! What breed is your chick? can't wait to see when he is fluffy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by