Soon to be chicken mom!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CaitlinAnd, Jan 29, 2017.

1. CaitlinAnd

CaitlinAnd New Egg

Jan 29, 2017
    Hi, I'm new and me and my husband have decided we'd like to start raising chickens! Mainly me but I'm dragging him along! Lol we've decided we want to start with four chickens, and we plan to build our own coop and run :) what type of chickens do you recommend for starting out we'd like large brown eggs!we were thinking black australorps because of their disposition! We're from Pennsylvania so they will have to be able to handle our cold winters! Thank you and I'm excited to get to know more on my chicken journey!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think BLack Australorps sound like a fine decision. Welcome to BYC

1 person likes this.
  3. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    I love my black australorps. They've handled Montana winters just fine. My Australorps and buff orpingtons have been the nicest chickens I've had so far. Very docile as chicks and I can pick them up anytime now that they're adults.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Congratulations on getting your new chicken adventures started :clap It was the other way around for me and was my other half who wanted to start with chickens. I hated the idea as I was petrified of birds and the whole idea horrified me. But once he got the girls here they grew on me and I just could not stop myself then! It became an addiction! Please do pop by the learning Center ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    Lots of articles there that will really help you out. Good choice on the australorps, from everything I've read on them they are a fine bird to keep.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under CaitlinAnd [dragged along hubby [​IMG]] [​IMG] Welcome!

There are some great coop ideas here if you do not already have any: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

You might also want to say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

Best wishes to you and your new feathered family when they arrive [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC - and to the poultry keeping adventure!!!!
    There are several great resources here on BYC (and on the greater www) for ideas on coop and run construction -- I find it helpful to look at as many different examples as you can find so that you can find the parts of different ones that appeal to you and then incorporate them into your final design. I would strongly suggest to think ahead and build a bigger coop/run than you feel you need now for the birds you plan to start with - there is, imo, no such thing as too much room for your flock *and* this allows for the inevitable growing of your flock when chicken math sets in, lol. It is much easier (and cheaper) to build once than to be trying to add on or build a second setup next year.
    Australorps are a great breed, but there are many breeds out there that can easily meet what you are looking for in a bird. If you aren't set on having all the same, a mixed flock can be a good way to get a feel for several breeds and find which ones do/don't end up being what you are looking for.

1 person likes this.
  7. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

As Old Grey Mare said, a mixed flock can be a fun way to build up your flock. You can sort of try the different breeds out to see which you prefer and you get an assortment of "eye candy".

Hope you enjoy having poultry!

1 person likes this.
  8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I also think BAs are a fine choice. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by