Soon to be new chicken mom in KY

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KYchickadee, Feb 5, 2015.

1. KYchickadee

KYchickadee Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2015
    We have been researching chickens for about a month now and hope to get 4 chickens in the spring. Right now my favorites are silver dorkings, dominiques, silkies, and cochins (especially the partridge).

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you have picked some nice friendly breeds, you should have lots of broodies for sure!

3. KYchickadee

Feb 5, 2015
    We're already planning on a "time out" rabbit hutch for when they go broody. We aren't intending to raise chicks and mom won't let me have a rooster, but I wanted friendly breeds. I like the fluffiness of the silkies and cochins and the stripes and personality of the dominiques (at least the one I have seen LOL).

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

:frow Welcome from Washington State........glad you joined us! hope you enjoy all of you chickens! :)

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Silkies and Cochins are especially calm and gentle birds. My children made lap pets of both breeds. If you get Silkies, I wouldn't recommend keeping them with the other three larger breeds as they will likely take a beating. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

7. DanTheRed

DanTheRed New Egg

Feb 5, 2015
    Welcome I'm new here too also from Ky.

8. KYchickadee

Feb 5, 2015
    Can a wire rabbit cage with a plastic bottom be used for a "time out" cage for a broody hen, or will it not work since it doesn't have the wire floor to cool her belly?

9. DanTheRed

DanTheRed New Egg

Feb 5, 2015
    I've heard that in winter that metal is not nice to their feet. I would use the plastic bottom just covering it with wood shavings to keep it from being too slick on their feet.

10. KYchickadee

Feb 5, 2015
    It's actually got little bumpies on the bottom to give them traction :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by