Soon to be proud parents of 25 chicks... in Nevada

horseshowmomnv

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Reno NV
Hello,
My husband says I jump head first. Our daughter (20) has the same trait as me. We are studying and learning as much as possible about chickens. The chicks are due to arrive around the 27th. We have a plan for the brooder, they will be living in our den. We have yet to build the coop, and I am rather stressed about this project. We plan on keeping 15 of our little ones, and hopefully selling the remaining.
We have cats, dogs and horses... not to mention all the wildlife in our area. We have a good idea on what we want for a coop, but no real plan yet.
Here's to our next adventure, we look forward to our new family members, and the fresh eggs later this year.

Welcome to BYC from Ohio! Love your avatar pic!

Yep, that's alot of chicks to start with, but I'm sure you can handle it just fine! What breeds did you pick?

Sharon

There are a lot of things associated with horses that you can use to help set up your coop. For example, I used a metal horse waterer with a float, and just added an open cover about 4 inches above it so they would not poop in it. You can see it on my coop page. I also grew them out for a while in a stall, before the coops were complete.

Hello,
Yes it is alot!
Buff Rocks, Light Brahma's, Barred Rock, and Road Island Reds.
I unfortunately do not have an extra stall, that would be easy though. Empty water troughs will be nice when they are old enough to be outside to get some sun.
I found a lumber supplier not far from us that deals with lumber seconds, and used lumber. Plywood for 6 dollars a sheet.

I am a bit overwhelmed with the amount of information here, but slowly sifting through and finding the current necessary information.

My husband can save a life, but his carpentry skills are minimal. I will be learning lots of new things in the next 6 weeks. :)

frow.gif
&
welcome-byc.gif
from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

Back
Top Bottom