1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soon to buy chicks I need help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iluvwyandottes, Nov 30, 2008.

1. iluvwyandottes

iluvwyandottes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    CA
    I have a neighborwho I recently found out has chickens had I not heard the rooster crow this morning I never would have guessed. He says he has good strong chickens and is currently incubating some. The drawback is they are mixed and I heard stories about how some aren't like they are supposed to be. Should I go for it or not?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

What do you mean some are how they arent supposed to be?

If you want chickens, go for it. It doesnt matter if you have purebred chickens or mixed chickens.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Check out their flock. If they are healthy, happy and well taken care of then you know the neighbor has done everything right. And there is ALWAYS the chance that some don't come out right, mixed or pure. I say go for it.

4. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Mutts are often best, especially for a beginner. They are adaptive and generally survivors. Go for it.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  6. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    I just hatched mixed eggs from my chickens 7 weeks ago. They are too cute, The mom is Black sexlink the dad was RIR and Red sexlink. I can't wait til they start laying, thier mom lays huge brown eggs. Thats all the really matters if you think they are cute and they lay eggs.

7. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Quote:I was a long time reader of Mother Earth News and remembered a hover/brooder that they featured. So, when it was time to build, I got 4 used 2" x 10" x 8ʻ boards, cut them into 4ʻ lengths and made two box frames. In the bottom of one, I installed a floor of 1/2" welded wire mesh and on the other a light weight lid of 1" x 2" welded wire mesh. Finally, I stacked them first on 4 concrete blocks and then on top of each other. This leaves me with a 16 sq ft hover that is 16" off the ground and easy to work in without getting a back ache or kneeling. Plus, the little bit of air that comes thru the bottom of the brooder really helps to keep the litter dry and the smells down. It heats beautifully with a 250 watt infrared light. Wish I had taken pictures now, but at the time I didnʻt know about BYC.

8. iluvwyandottes

iluvwyandottes Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    CA
    Well he said he would keep them till they are six weeks then he'd give them to me. And I am just about done with the coop just a few lil touch-ups.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by