Soon to hatch or newborns near SF Bay Area? Need help please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PipisMom, Jul 8, 2010.

1. PipisMom

PipisMom New Egg

Jul 8, 2010
    Castro Valley, CA
    Hello fellow duck lovers,

I'm in a bit of a predicament and I thought it couldn't hurt to ask here for help. My 10 year old daughter and I have been incubating a call duck egg for about 29 days now and it doesn't look like it's going to hatch. My daughter is with her father for a few days so I thought perhaps I could acquire a soon to hatch egg from somewhere nearby (I'm in the SF East Bay), warmly transport it home and continue to incubate it without my daughter knowing. I thought there might be someone nearby who might have eggs on the verge on lockdown who might be willing to part with one (I can compensate). Or perhaps someone has a duckling that needs a home near Castro Valley. It would be such a kindness and make a little girl very happy. It doesn't need to be a call duck.

Can someone help? My e-mail address is [email protected] or of course I can be contacted through this thread.

Carol

2. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Have you candled the egg? It is really best to have 2 ducklings. They really need each other for company. Have you tried looking on Craigs List?

3. gumamelachick

gumamelachick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2010
    East Bay
    Hello!

I'm in Hayward... and I'm on day 9 of hatching some Welsh Harlequin eggs I got from Metzers. It looks like there are 9 viable eggs so far (out of 9 shipped, 1 was infertile). If you'd like to wait til 7/28 for the hatch you can pm me. This is my first hatch in a homemade incubator but things seem okay and stable so far.

Otherwise, last time I looked for ducks on CL someone in Hayward had some young Black East Indies- very pretty!

Good luck in your search!

4. AmCanyonStables

AmCanyonStables Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2009
    American Canyon
    I got ducklings about 2 months ago from Ranch Supply in Vacaville, just off 80. If you are going east on 80 for something, it would not hurt to check if they have some. They get mixed lots - I got black swedish and a runner (still wondering about that one), but they had rouens and some others as well.

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I would get two one day olds and tell her the egg had to babies inside and they hatched while she was gone. Best is to candle the egg and see if there is a baby inside. It should all be dark with an airsack and a flashlight will work. Hatching may be delayed if the temps were too low. I hear call eggs are difficult to hatch and fertility is kind of low. Never had call ducks so I don't know for sure.

6. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Woah!!! I'm only a couple of years older than your daughter and I wouldn't like being lied to!!! Just tell her the truth and you guys can buy day olds together. But what do I know? Just another stupid teen [​IMG]

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:I think you're idea is the best.
    Teens aren't stupid. When we were teens we knew everything.LOL
    Just kidding.
    I think you're right!

8. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Quote:I think you're idea is the best.
    Teens aren't stupid. When we were teens we knew everything.LOL
    Just kidding.
    I think you're right!

I agree! I to have young children and they have experienced death and disapointment in poultry/animal raising and it is hard on them, but not emotionally fatal or damaging. I would rather tell them the truth, even though it is harder, and let them experience the hurt, than lie to them. Besides, when you raise any kind of animal, eventually you will experience the flipside to all the good stuff. If not this egg, then something else. I know your heart is in the right place, but I think you should trust in your daughter's strength, and when the crying is over, go pick out some cute ducks. JMO. Good luck either way. [​IMG]

ETA: My daughters are 5 and 7. And percyj, being a teen is awsome, seriously. I think I have definantly grown more dense over the years. LOL, miss knowing everything...[​IMG] it was all so pretty. Just kidding, I love my age, when I can remember it!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  9. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Lol!!! Thx evry1!!! U r rite , go teens!!! [​IMG]

10. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Quote:You are right. I've missed the age completely. For some reason I envisioned a 5 year old and I didn't want to see a broken heart. A 10 year old is to smart and may catch on to a switch with them already using the Internet etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by