Sooo frustrated with chicks and broodies!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenannie, May 24, 2008.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I am so frustrated right now with too many broody hens, too many turkey chicks dying, too many extra chores like building extra pens for all the broodies and all the extra feeders and waterers. ARrgggh. Everytime I turn around there's another broody hen and honestly I'm tired of dealing with their refusal to quit brooding.

Every time a chick dies I feel sooo bad like it's my fault and I'm working so hard but they die anyways (still have 22 of 30). I am going through feed so fast because instead of 2 henhouses, I now have an additional 5 pens (for chicks) for a grand total of 7 pens. Who has time for this?? That doesn't even count the 6 broodies now sitting on eggs. Well, ok, i put fake eggs and golf balls under 2 of them. ha.

AND, their egg laying numbers are going down, partly because the broodies are taking up all the nests, and at the same time, my main egg-outlet sales place is getting so many eggs right now they don't need mine anymore so eggs are going to start building up in my fridge! I'd like to start charging $10/dozen just to pay for all this work and expense.

That isn't even the half of it... Frustrated BIG time!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] :thun

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Chickenannie,

I'm so sorry you're frustrated with your birds. Having too many broodies can be a pain! I have 5 adult hens, and I was praying for a broody. Well, I got 4 out of 5! Be careful what you wish for, my mother always said.

I didn't make separate pens for my broodies, though. It really sounds like you went to a lot of work for them. Then to have babies dying, that would be frustrating indeed.

Plus, the extra cost of feed and accessories, and loss of egg income. I sure hope things get back to normal for you quickly.

Lauralou

3. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    I have 3 broodys right now and my dh is out of town. So I have been out there making places for everyone and overdoing I am sure stressing myself out. So I just started thinking hens have been having chicks for 100's of years without my help, so I did the best I could with what I had, and that is all I can do. I pray everyone is going to be happy and safe, I am trying not to stress about it. Sorry you are frustrated, I was also it it tough so I just relaxed about it all.[​IMG]

4. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    thanks for the words of support. I have barn cats (and a house cat who tries to sneak into the brooder room) so I have to be cautious about them not being able to get to the chicks. Some of my pens (such as an old corn crib) are not very predator proof. My hens free range so I've had to make sure I get the chicks in a pen right away when they are hatched. One night with the cats and poof they can get eaten so quickly. Plus I'm selling my RB turkey chicks when they get older so they're suddenly much more valuable to me as income and I feel pressure to make sure they do well. Turkey chicks are SOOO frail. they become virtually indestructible at about 8 weeks though. My boyfriend and I broke up this spring so I have no help either!

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm so sorry for your frustration. I know what it's like to feel like there is not enough of you to go around. [​IMG] Just try to keep your head up and remember, this to shall pass! [​IMG]

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope you get to a better frame of mind, you sound very discouraged. Having animals is a lot of work, especially when they're young, and there are so many variables in their care.

I often chuckle when I hear about someone new to animal care ordering 100 eggs or 75 birds. I think you'll be okay, because you're learning. But yes, livestock management, even on a small scale, has its share of heartbreak even when you do everything right.

7. chickenannie

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, when you are new to this, you think "oh I'd like 10 chickens", so you order 10 chicks from the hatchery. No one tells you that you might end up with anywhere from 5-10 of those due to mortality rates. I see the same thing with people on BYC who order new chickens and don't realize they have predators at their property only to find their flock gradually disappearing in the night. It IS discouraging.

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  8. gostlady6

gostlady6 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2008
    I am having just the opposite problem. I have a roadisland red hen and an americana hen which was giving me 1 egg a day now neither hens are laying. It doesnt even seem to bother them when I theaten to squeeze the eggs out or put them in a frying pan. I am feeding lay pellets & wishing for eggs!!

9. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Sorry about all your frustrations and problems of too many chickens/eggs. Try to remember if worse comes to worst, chicken and dumplings is DELICIOUS; what could make anyone feel better than what chicken soup can?

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  10. GallowayFarms

GallowayFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    do you collect eggs everyday? the only time I have had hens start sitting is if i left eggs in the nests for a couple days. How many nesting boxes do you have? Sounds like you need to make some more if other hens can't get to them.

If you need to thin down your flock. Call up your local 4H. They are always looking for chickens for their members to raise to take to show and such.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by