Sooo is it too early for QUACK?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by daidyducks, Feb 25, 2011.

1. daidyducks

daidyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Ontario,CA
    I have a 3 wk old and a one month old pekin duckling but it seems as if the 3 wk old duckie is starting to "honk" aside from its "peep." Does this mean its gonna "quack" sometime soon? Also, the 1 month old hasnt shown any signs of "honk" or "quack.." could it be that theres something wrong???

Could I tell their gender from the sounds they make??

p.s. the little honk sounds so adorable >,< kinda like a clown honk lol:p

2. the duck whisperer

the duck whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Ohio
    ive never heard a duck honk before, so im not sure. I think thats the first sign of a quack. But when they are of a certain age, say 6 mon., you can definatly tell the females are louder than the males, which only "whisper". good luck.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  3. daidyducks

Feb 24, 2011
    Ontario,CA
    Ive heard people say that theirs kinda "honk" too. Its not a LOUD honk like wow lol its more like a peeping honk..

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I have just spent the last two hours holding ducks and listening to them- I am attending a poultry club Auction tomorrow and need to confirm the sexes of nearly 40 birds to decide who I am taking out there. I have 10 three week old babies- and while I am certain of two of them- the rest will be sold as unsexed as its just too early to be 100% sure. The four weeks old are a little clearer- but still some I am not convinced about. The five week old pen is pretty clear cut- but there is still one holding out on me.

At this stage it might be a little to early to be 100% sure- but it sounds likely that the older is a drake- and the younger honker is a little female.

5. K4zn4v3

K4zn4v3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2010
    I had a Pekin that started quacking at 3 weeks. Females will general get their adult voice a good bit before the males so that is one of the easiest indicator to knowing what gender you have.

6. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

My Jumbo Pekin HONKED when she was little, it just slipped out every now and them like her voice was breaking. Now she HOOOOONKS very loud, I swear yto god shes half goose. SO..I would say yes she is going to be a female.

My 2 ducklings from last month..al I get from them is WHAT WHAT WHAT in a low pitch, so im guessing Elliot is indeed and Elliot and Gemini is a boy too. I need to get photos...they are so big now

7. daidyducks

Feb 24, 2011
    Ontario,CA
    [​IMG] that's soo cute !! I hope my girl starts quacking then :) I'm excited to find out its a girl, funny thing is that I had a feeling ever since we got em
    I hopee Saint Quat, our male ,gets some sort of change in his voice [​IMG]

8. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My 2 boys arent peeping any more, they do more of a what what what in a low sort of tone, so im guessing they are boys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by