Sooo, is the weather going to mess up the girls?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by QBRanch, Jan 20, 2009.

1. QBRanch

QBRanch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    Colorado
    Ok, our weather went from 15-20 degrees to 35-45 degrees in about two weeks. My girls have started to lay again. But, the news says it will go back down again. Will this affect them? They have a heat lamp that was put in right before Christmas.

Oh Oh, I must brag too none of my roos would crow and just this week both have started to crow including what we thought was a hen for the longest time until we actually looked at it closely and noticed the feathers along the sides and well ok it's a roos and he's HUGEEEEEE and he is now crowing.. Wooohoooo (I think my neighbors won't like me very much now, at least they are late crowers. 9am or so)

2. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I understand exacally what you are going through. Crazy Colorado weather. Come here if you want to experience all four seasons in one day, or like it's been lately be 60 degrees one day, and 10 the next.

3. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm wondering the same thing? It's 64 up here in Conifer today, and we're having a good egg day. I'm guessing it'll be terrible come the end of the week, and my girls will not leave the coop if it's snowing. I've been shoveling the run just to get them out when the snow stops!

Sonja

4. QBRanch

QBRanch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2008
    Colorado
    Well, I went out again and have three more eggs on top of my two.. Which i'm not complaining I just dont want it to mess things up for them. Plus, my roos are starting their strutting and claiming of girls. I did crack one egg open last night and it was fertile. So, we know they're um yea! Even my pekin ducks are starting their spring actions. LOL I hope someone can answer for many of us wondering minds! I don't want to get too excited about eggs. lol

5. HickChick Wannabe

HickChick Wannabe Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    North Ridgeville, Ohio
    My girls just started laying the end of Dec and early Jan. They haven't had any warm weather, just cold, colder and coldest and have kept right on laying at about the same rate through it all.(Woke up one morning to -8.6 F BRRRR and still got 3 eggs from 6 chickens that day! Personally, I'd have taken the day off!) No heat in the coop beyond what they and their composting bedding provide, but I haven't let them out on the days when it's been in the single digits. I also was careful to choose cold-hardy breeds.

Hope that answers your question!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by