Sooo mad and sad! :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kellieg1, Jan 25, 2012.

1. kellieg1

kellieg1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Marthasville
    Penny, one of my RIR has been getting into the fenced in back yard.(flying on top of the rail and jumping down) I've tried to keep her out for the past 2 weeks, by opening up the gate and letting her out.(they free range) Well, I just did that and then let the dogs out so they could do their business. As soon as I let them out I got a very important phone call.

Well, I guess she wanted back in there. Yes, the dogs were still out. [​IMG]This just makes me sick to my stomach. [​IMG] I won't go into and details, but lets just say they are NOT getting any supper. (nothing hardly left) I know she knew they were back there, because she seen them! I don't know why she would go back in. She has been getting chased by one on the guineas lately. So I don't if that was the case or not.

I'm just sick! This is the 2nd one I have lost to the dogs. I have been watching them and letting them back in as soon as they are done so this wouldn't happen!!! Now, I'm done to one RIR. :(

2. Shireshome

Shireshome Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Sorry to hear about your poor RIR. Don't be too hard on the dogs, after all they are dogs and she went into their area while they were in it.

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I am so sorry for your loss. Don't be to hard on yourself. [​IMG]

4. kellieg1

Sep 8, 2010
    Marthasville
    I know, they have gotten a few animals that have been in "their" back yard. Ever since I lost my roo (same way) shes hasn't been herself. Also by herself alot and getting chased by the guinea.

So I have lost 3 chickens since June when I got these at 6-8 weeks. So does that mean I can get some more in the spring! :) ( I'm trying to be positive about this.)

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It's really not the dogs' fault if they haven't been trained to leave the chickens alone. Chickens don't have brains enough to figure out that dogs = danger. She saw them, but obviously didn't make the connection. I wouldn't advise getting more chickens until you figure out a way to keep them out of the dogs' area. Maybe clip their wings? Build them a covered run?

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I'm disagreeing that its just a dog thing, dogs can be taught to leave the chickens alone, it takes time, patience and is not perfect but both animals can live together in harmony. my sister-in-laws rottweiler never touched my chickens ever and she aways stuck her nose in the chick brooders and nosed the chicks

edit: for clarity

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'm not sure who you're disagreeing with, but I totally agree - dogs can be taught to leave chickens alone. It takes lots of time and patience, and I think it's harder when you have more than one dog, as pack mentality can set in. (Kinda like kids - when you have more than one, they forget all the rules [​IMG]) It's also more difficult when they've already experienced the fun of chasing, catching and playing with the feathered, flying squeaky toy. So, until the dogs are trained, OP needs to figure out how to keep the chickens away from them.

8. kellieg1

Sep 8, 2010
    Marthasville
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I take my dogs out on a leash.Sorry for your loss.

10. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    that's really lousy. i'm getting my first chicks in a few days. their run is separated from where the dogs are, but it isn't topped. i'm pretty sure i will have to top it, but i need hubby's help & he's got his hands full right now.
    good luck with future ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by