Sooo my 1 1/2 yr old Granson turned over the WHOLE INCUBATOR :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MIKE555444, Nov 21, 2009.

1. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Yep... I installed a computer fan in this incubator a few months ago... I have taken great care not to keep the lid off but just a few moments while I turn the eggs. Taking super good care of these babies....

I am 2 weeks into the hatch cycle and I get the call yesterday while I was at work that my 1 1/2 yr old Granson turn over the entire incubator **sigh**

Well he is such a sweety I could never be upset with him [​IMG] Out of 40 egg that went flying accross the room we had 9 broken. Others were covered with yoke or whatever you want to call it at this point. When my daughter called in a panic my wife was starting to put the eggs in a bowl of warm water to keep them warm while she clean up the mess.... I quickly stoped her and had her dry off the ones that were placed in the water. I more less had her set the incubator back up and put the eggs back in and leave the mess for later so the eggs would not get cold.

It appears the inside of the incubator was not to bad as eggs went completly out on to the carpet and most of the eggs that broke seems to be from hitting other eggs. I don't know if there is any hope for the eggs that are left?

I got the temps stable when I got back home (it was low 89 or something) I assume the fall must have messed up the setings. My new tem/Hum gauge has not worked since the crash yesterday. I believe it got water inside.

Since I only have 7 day left should I let it finish and see what happens or just toss them and start over??

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I would what could it hurt at this point... I would do a little prayer and keep watching temps and humidity just incase that little tumble did something to the thermostats or electrical stuff-good luck...

3. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    The main thing is to get the temp back to normal now. You would be amazed had how much an egg can take before it goes down to defeat. Some if not all might make it if the temp comes back and holds. GOOD LUCK

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    The temps are steady now.. so I will just wait it out and see what happens...

Should I clean off the eggs or just let them be?

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If they were mine I would leave them alone at this point and just take a chance they hatch.

7. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I would keep going, just to see.

Maybe move the incubator and cord somewhere higher out of toddler reach just in case?

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'd try, you have nothing to lose at this point.

Good luck. [​IMG]

9. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If the temp is holding and humidity is O K, don't do anything now. Have you ever seen the mess a hen can make of her nest. She might break an egg or two. She might not clean the poo out of the nest. Some nest are really dirty, yet the hatch rate is good. You haved learned a lesson that will not be forgotten. Think how bad the little one feels. Those were his eggs he broke. He knows he will have a few less chicks to pick on. Life is a lesson and you have learned a hard one. When the bator is empty and clean fill it back up and start over again. DON'T FORGET TO KISS THE GRANDSON AND TELL HIM IT WILL BE ALRIGHT.

10. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by