sooo upset...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shadust1, Nov 6, 2011.

1. shadust1

shadust1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    just called home to see how fluffy is doing with her eggs...jeff said that she just got up from the eggs and ran out and got a drink and was right back in....he said that she has like 9 or 10 eggs under her...besides the ones he took out from the others hatching when she gets up...9 or 10 [​IMG]..there should be 12..what is going on...i had him double check all of the eggs he took off..none of them have a letter on them...and he said that the eggs r all brown..well then the 2 light green eggs r totally missing...we even checked the refridgerator to make sure that the kids didnt accidently bring them up....none with letters...and if she would of kicked them out bc of being bad we would of found them laying right outside her nestbox...and of course..im at work...ewwww....i really wanted those 2 light green eggs too....he said unless he is totally losing it...cant count and is colored blind..lol...i said that is probably what it is..lol...guess ill be going home and investigating things....will update when i find out what happened...thanks for letting me vent..lol... [​IMG]

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:I would be like you, not the green eggs!! I am incubating some EE eggs right now..and I soo want them to hatch. I hope you figure things out!

3. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    raccoon??

4. pek

pek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    one of my birds was sitting over the summer and the eggs just kept disappearing I thought that the older birds might be eating them for extra calcium and stuff (we had some very odd birds [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]), but it was rats eating them. [​IMG]

5. shadust1

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    i dont think so....we have duck eggs laying right beside the pond in the open...but until i get home and take a long look at things im not really sure what happened...i guess if this keeps happening im gonna just move her away from the other hens and put her in a rabbit hutch someone left on our property....just to be sure nothing happens to her or her babies...

Quote:

6. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:ACK!!!! Is there a way to prevent that?

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    ewwww gotta be carfull of the rats and the snakes around here they love eggs...not me just in the past when i was about 6-10 years old lol its been awhile

8. pek

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Quote:ACK!!!! Is there a way to prevent that?

a cat or two

9. shadust1

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    but would a rat actually carry the egg off or would it just eat it right there and leave the shell..bc a couple of eggs r plain missing....ewww...yuck!!!!

Quote:

10. pek

Nov 26, 2009
    Rhode Island
    i've seen them do both they might carry the egg off, leave some egg or just eat he whole thing

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by