Sooo We are getting a pig, I have ???'s :)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by baldie, Nov 5, 2009.

1. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    [​IMG] Okay, so we got the approval that we can get a pig. What do I need to know and have ready before we go pick it up. I think we should get at least 2 so that we dont have a lonely pig. TIA....Chrissie

2. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:You will need a pen, a house a heat lamp (red), strong food bowls and water bowls, straw, feed and a weight tape.
    I think thats everything.
    Wait you need a camara too to take lots of pics.

3. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    The babies that the DH was checking into are 6 weeks old. So they need a heat lamp...correct? We have a pen, straw, hay, food and water bowls, but what is weight tape??
    The funny part of all of this, is that this is the hubbys "thing", just like the chickens WERE his thing. But it seems he gets them and assumes I will take care of them, being the animal lover that I am. But I know nothing about taking care of a 6 week old pig. Only what I have seen on Charlottes Web LOL.
    Can chickens and pigs be housed together??
    Would it be better to get 2 of them, or are they okay being the only one??

4. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    I've seen weight tapes for horses, but not for pigs. We weighed our show pigs, but if this isn't a show pig, I wouldn't worry about it. Most of our pigs were very friendly, like a dog. The key was spending time with them when they were little. In a few months you are going to have a 200-300 pound pig (unless it's a pot-bellied), and they are a lot easier to work with if they are tame.

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Pigs and chickens can get many of the same diseases, especially things along the influenza and TB line. They can eat much of the same foods, both being omnivores, so you shouldn't have to worry about table scraps for awhile!!

Save some pig manure. Our neighbors use it for fertilizer and it keeps deer out of the garden

6. baldie

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Thanks for the responses. [​IMG]
    I plan on spending ALOT of time with it. [​IMG] Another baby, I cant wait. The boys are excited also, so its sure to get plenty of attention. LOL.
    Thats good to know about pig poop keeping the deer out of the garden. [​IMG]

7. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:yes they will need a heat lamp at that age.
    They can not eat tomatos it's not good for them.

8. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I remember not being able to feed any citrus fruits to my pig either, the vet warned me against it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by