Sooo, when the light shuts off, then what???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by baldie, Dec 5, 2008.

1. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Okay, I was just thinking about my chickens and this thought came to mind. If they are used to going in when it gets dark on their own and getting up on the roost's, how does the light affect this? What if they are not up there and the light turns off?? Chickens don't have very good night vision so would they sleep on the floor? That wouldn't be too good. I just thought of this and was wondering if anyone knows if they would get on schedule and know when to get up or not. Thanks, Chrissie
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where to put it.

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Mine go to bed when it is dusky and they have just enough light to still see. They are pretty good at judging how much light they have left. One more reason I think chickies are brilliant animals. [​IMG]

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I think most would set the timer so that the lights come on early in the mornings. Then you just let natural light do its job in the evening. That would seem to be the simplest solution.

Those that use lights around here, have them come on around 4am.

Matt

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Ohhhhhhhhhh..................I think I mis-understood the question. You are talking about artificial light and being instantly slammed into darkness......

that I just don't know. [​IMG]

5. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I was thinking of using it at night also for heat. It does go on in the morning now....I don't want any of my "kids" sleeping on the floor. So would leaving it on for a few hours at night be a bad thing? I just figured it would warm it up a bit before bed. We have it on a timer set for in the morning.

6. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

You want to use light to help heat a bit but not leave the chickens high and dry when it goes off. How about two lights/timers? One that is for warmth and another that gives off just enough light for the chickens to see to get to bed. They could be set to go off/on at different times. The 'dusk' light would come on shortly before the heat light goes off and stays on for 1/2 hour or so - just time enough for the chickens to find someplace to roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by