SOOOO HAPPY! CAGE update!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by SamG347, Feb 14, 2009.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Went over to visit my Cage Builder....and Amish man in Belleville, PA. He had a my sample cage built...which was my original dimension of....
    2ft by 2ft

I have now switched from getting 8-10 of those size cages to getting 6 cages that are...
    2ft by 3ft

The cages are all going to be made out of 1/2" by 1" galv.wire on sides and top....and 1/2" by 1" COATED WIRE for the floors...WHICH IS MY FAVORITE. So soft on the birds feet and sooo nice for cleaning. I'm paying the extra buck but it will be worth it. The cages will have two doors. They are 12" tall in the front and 10" in the back...2" sloping floors so eggs roll to the front of the cage.
    Will post pics when I get them!
    [​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Woohoo! I need to ask the Amish/menonites at the auction if any of them build cages. I know some do, but I have no idea where they live! How many birds will you have in a 2x3 cage?

3. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I will have 10 birds....8 female 2 males.
    [​IMG]

4. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Quote:These are gonna be quail right? haha

Cody!!

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:There's a largish community in Pellyton, and one over in Gradyville - Pellyton is closer to you, Shelley. Oh, and Liberty, of course, although many of those are Old Order Mennonite - but I'm sure they'd do the job for ya, too.

I know a few of the Amish around here (most of them over by Gradyville) they're (most of them) pretty nice people, you can ask them about anything.

6. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Congrats Sam! They sound like wonderful cages!!! We made ours and the coated wire is the way to go - good decision!! Can't wait to see pics!

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    awesome SAM! I cannot wait to see pictures (yes you better post pictures you cannot leave us hanging hahahaha)!

8. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Ok, I am jealous! I haven't had time to build mine yet. Have to work on the jr.'s cages frist.

Can't wait for pictures

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Mojo Chick'n :

Quote:There's a largish community in Pellyton, and one over in Gradyville - Pellyton is closer to you, Shelley. Oh, and Liberty, of course, although many of those are Old Order Mennonite - but I'm sure they'd do the job for ya, too.

I know a few of the Amish around here (most of them over by Gradyville) they're (most of them) pretty nice people, you can ask them about anything.

Yeah, I know where the 'communities' are, but finding the ones that make cages (seems they all have different 'specialties') is the hard part.​

10. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

Sam, your cages must be done by now??? Where are the pics!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by