Soooo in love...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenkassai, Jun 18, 2011.

1. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    So my babies are almost 2 wks and almost 3 wks, and I still can't believe how in love I am with them! I expected to be enamored, but this is ridiculous [​IMG] We did our first outdoor excursion today for a bit. It was in the low 80s and sunny, so I set up my dog x-pen, zip-tied some poultry netting to the side so they couldn't get out through the bars of the pen, put them in there and then sat out there with a book to read. Silly me, thinking that I would get any reading done [​IMG] I just sat and watched the the whole time [​IMG] At first they were afraid to come out of the cat carrier that I'd used to transport them outside, but when I made my kissy noises and called "here chick!" the little Dominique girls came to the opening and started investigating grass. As soon as the Wyandotte saw that, she bowled them over getting outside to explore! The rest soon followed and it was so relaxing and entertaining to watch them check everything out. Do chickens have really good vision?? I couldn't believe some of the tiny ants they found. One of them (Bebe my Buff Brahma) ate a worm. I was worried about her choking but she was fine. I was surprised that she didn't run around with it and play keep away, but I've noticed with treats she is very quiet, grabs a piece and sneaks off by herself. And while some of them don't like to be picked up and held, I think that they ARE used to me. They didn't care when I came in and sat with them. One of my dogs barked once, and they all stood straight up, startled, but I said "It's okay girls, you've heard the dogs barking before" and they all settled back down to their business. After a looong time (we were out there for probably 2 hrs!) they all started meandering back into the carrier like they were going to settle in for a nap, so I closed them in and brought them back in to their brooder. And apparently it's time to provide something for them to dust bathe in, because they were trying to dust bathe in the grass [​IMG] What can I give them to dust bathe in? Sand? Our soil here is clay, so not conducive to dust bathing.

2. TerryQui

TerryQui Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    Awe, it sounds like a really fun day.
    I am planning to just use beach sand from the hardware store.
    I am really enjoying my two chicks also. Like a little kid with a new toy, hehe. They are very interesting.

3. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I agree, I can sit forever watching my girls play. I gave them yogurt a couple days ago, and they flipped the pan over. When I went out to get them ready for bed, I flipped the pan back over & was going to hose it down, there were ants all over it. My chicks came running, like the dinner bell was run. They were eating the ants as fast as they could, it was so funny watching them.
    I have 2 - 2 week old Light Brahmas, and they were taking dust baths today, then falling asleep in the little hole they dug.
    One of my EE was so into her dust bath, she rolled all the way over on her back, and her little feet were straight up in the air. They she could not get the momentum to flip back over, my 3 year old had to help give her a boost.[​IMG]

4. TerryQui

TerryQui Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    Quote:Lol, I am laughing at this picture in my mind. A chick on his back. So cute. Too bad you didn't get a picture.

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwwww that reminds me of that day back in March when my chicks went out for the first time. At first, all six moved as a unit--it looked like they were glued together. I heavily feed the song birds near where I set up their playpen, and at first the sound of the robins, goldfinches and blue jays scared the chicks. They huddled and looked toward the tree, intensely listening, where the birds were singing. After a while whenever the birds finished a song, the chicks would answer. It was a hoot watching them communicate with their wild cousins. They are almost fully grown, but they are still afraid of blue jays.

I miss those sweet baby days! They grow up too fast.

You can put a dish of play sand in the brooder for them to dust bathe in. It's good for them to eat and to dust bathe in. Be sure to get plenty of popcorn, because they put on a real show when dust bathing and doing chicken yoga.

The vision thing--they have very good close vision, but not very good far vision.

6. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Thanks all! I will pick up some play sand for them tomorrow, can't wait for the show [​IMG] It was so cute to watch them trying it in the grass! And my little Bebe (Buff Brahma) did roll over on her back for a half a second. I guessed what they were trying to do when I saw them start. Hubby (who hasn't really read anything about them - but that's okay, he just needs to build my stuff [​IMG] ) said "Is something wrong with that one?" when she was rolling around on her side [​IMG] I said "No, she's trying to dust bathe!" and pointed out another one who was doing it as well. After a bit they just stopped and were sunning themselves, on their side, I swear they DID look dead!!! I hope we have nice weather tomorrow so we can go out again! Of course I'm not really getting anything done around the house when that happens though...[​IMG]

7. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    My favorite parts of dust-bathing:

-when they scrub their faces into the dirt, and

-when they just pause and relax in the sun, sideways or on their backs, eyelids slowly closing. [​IMG]

8. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I have a dust bath in the coop and one in the run. I use a mixture of sand, peat moss and some wood ash. They like something nice and loose. Plan to toss in some DE when the feed store gets some in be sure the container is big enough too. My indoor one is about 15 inches square, the outdoor one 3 foot square.

9. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:There will be plenty of time to housework after the chicks grow up. That happens really fast and you don't want to miss any of their antics. Raising baby chicks is good medicine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by