1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soooo sad! lost a hen today! :'(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raimnel, Oct 19, 2010.

1. raimnel

raimnel Chillin' With My Peeps

I went to the coop this morning and found her half dead. she died in my arms 5 mins later. [​IMG] I believe cause an egg broke inside of her.
    Any one know what the signs are that a hen has an egg stuck? she was fine yesterday as far as I know.

2. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I am so sorry for your loss. I dont' know the answer to your question.

3. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I am so sorry -- I know you must be devastated. I don't know the answer to your question. I have seen other posts on here about hens sitting several times without laying as being a warning sign -- but that's also the beginning of a hen going broody. I am not sure I've seen a sure fire cure.

My best to you and so sorry about your hen,
    Jenny

4. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

So very sorry for your loss. I don't know the answer either but I've lost two hens to unknown causes and I know how disturbing it is not to be able to help them. For whatever reason, chickens seem to be more fragile than we expect them to be.

5. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    [​IMG] I'm so very sorry for your loss.

6. Princess Poppycock

Princess Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    I know I'm no help, but I also wanted to tell you how sorry I am for your loss.

7. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    [​IMG] So sorry to hear.Sometime's We lose one and never know what happened.Huggzzz for you and your hen and soooo sorry.

8. Adora

Adora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Southeast NC
    I'm sorry for you loss. I know how upsetting it can be when you lose one of your girls.

9. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    [​IMG]
    sorry. it hurts worse than we think it should. But don't worry about that, we have all lost a sweetie chick and have been all [​IMG] about it. It takes a while. she may only have been a chicken, but she was YOUR chicken.
    go ahead and cry. it's okay.

10. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

I, too, have nothing to share by way of reasons for the death.
    But I also wanted to send my deepest sympathy, and a [​IMG]
    Blessings of comfort, friend

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by