1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sooooo close......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sanebychicks, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Sanebychicks

Sanebychicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Colorful Colorado!
    My pullets are 21 wks now and of course I am anxiously awaiting the first egg. This afternoon I went to the backyard to only find 3 of my 4 begging for food. I went and looked in the nesting box (the top opens up) and there was my RIR Winnie, laying in the nesting box on top of the golf ball. I talked gently to her, told what a good big girl she was being and as I petted her back end, she stood up and started what I believe is the egg song. She was squacking loudly and acting somewhat anxious - though that could have been my projected nerves - she was LOUD! But, after about a minute (seemed like an 15) she stopped - and NO EGG! Darn, I was so hopeful to actually catch the first egg laying in process. All of this leads me to believe - she must be close. Are they all going to make that much noise when they lay? Gosh, I hope my neighbors are being honest when they tell me how much the love seeing and hearing the chickens.

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    There's nothing like the wait for that first egg, huh? Well, except for GETTING that first egg! Make sure you post pics of it when you get one.
    As far as the neighbors go, after they start laying & singing the egg song, just to be neighborly, I would check with them again & see if the joyful noise is more than what they were prepared for. You can always bribe them with free eggs to keep that smile on their face when you talk about it...

3. elizabethlongwood

elizabethlongwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    longwood, florida
    I bet you get that first egg before dinner time tonight!!

4. Sanebychicks

Sanebychicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Colorful Colorado!
    Just check out my last post! I am SO excited!!!! (thanks for the suggestions to talk to the neighbors - although this time, while loud, was for shorter time.) God, who would have thought to find an egg could bring so much excitement. I mean we've been seeing in the fridge for how long? So different this way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by