SOOOOO disappointed!!!!!!!

momto2

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Northern Maine
We processed our 20 jumbo cornish x rocks this weekend. We fried two in our turkey fryer and the meat was so tough. So I tried this next one roasted in the oven and it was a little better but not as good as what I buy at the grocery store. Is this common??? To think of all the time and money we put into those birds!!!!!

yes, let it sit in the fridge for at least 12 hours before starting to cook them. or you can marinate them for 12 hours in the fridge but let it sit there for a bit. you can also try using brine. put them in the saltwater and let it sit in the fridge for about 4 hours.

and after you cook them, let them sit a bit so that the juices can go back into the birds.

A butcher once told me that chicken needs to be aged just like beef. Beef is hung for at least a week to age before it is processed. He said chicken should be put in the fridge for a least 24-36 before cooking or freezing. It gives the muscles time to relax so it won't be tough. I have never had any of my chickens taste tough. As the others said, you can always marinate them.

I once heard a story on the news about a turkey farmer who had the best ingredient to a tender juicy bird... He fed them beer everyday, I can't remember how much beer but it was just a bit everyday. Wonder if that would work with chicken too
hmm.png

I tried the brine method and found it to make the meat too salty for my taste. So if you want to marinate, don't forget to dilute what ever your marinade is otherwise the flavor will be very very strong. Aging in the fridge is a must at least 24hrs. Also, it's better to let the meat get to room temperature before you put it on the fire. Then once cooked, it needs to "rest" for 5 or 10 minutes before you start cutting in to it.

A good thermometer is a must for cooking meats; when you take the meat off the fire for the "rest" the temperature will momentarily go up. Being able to tell exactly what the temp is helps to keep the meat moist, properly cooked while not turning it in to shoe leather.

When in doubt, cook it low and slow checking it frequently.

Back
Top Bottom