sooooo frustrated!!!!!! pics...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kyrose, Sep 10, 2010.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    i have been dealing with a sick hen for about 2 weeks.her original symptoms were-lethargic,roosting all the time,not laying and i saw some red in a couple of her poos.i was thinking the red was intestinal lining,but some on here insisted cocci and to treat with corrid.shes over a year old (forgot to mention)when she was a chick she was given med. chick starter(which i thought gave them an amunity).well she stopped using the corrid 2 days ago and as you can see her poo is totally normal.shes eating up a storm and plenty of drinking.i took her outside yesterday(away from my flock)and she loved it.her only problem now is her eyes are still so sleepy looking and the skin around her eyes are pale.i thought maybe external parasites cause she hasnt been able to dust bathe so i dust bathed her in de yesterday.so....does this still sound like cocci or something else?
    thanks for any advice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello Kyrose,

Alot of people don't realize that, when chickens reach the age of about 17 weeks, they usually have built up their own immunities against cocci. I never used medicated chick starter, because, truthfully, it doesn not guarantee a chick won't get cocci.

Could be that your hen's immunities are down because of some other reason, and that probably could be a reason for a mature hen to get cocci, but sometimes you never really know.

I'm wondering, did you actually see any parasites on her? If so, that could definitely be why she's got pale skin and she's sleepy. But if you didn't see any, then it could possibly be a reproductive problem, but it sounds like you haven't seen anything unusual, such as egg yolk (like from an egg that crushed inside of her).

Why don't you try giving her some vitamins and electrolites in her drinking water, and some extra protein like a chopped, hard boiled egg. Maybe that'll boost her energy a bit.

It sure is hard to diagnose these things.........Hope everything works out for her--she's lovely.

Sharon

3. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    thanks chicmom.yea i did see some bugs on her and i actually got bit twice on the arm while i was dusting her.ive been giving her plain yogurt and boiled yolks twice a day and theres vits. and electrolytes in her water. i just ordered ivermectin injectable to use on the rest of the flock.is it safe to dose her this soon after stopping the corrid?

4. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:I wish I knew, the last time I bought Corrid, there was a number on the package. I called it to get the dosage, because the stuff I got was a powder for bovine. I actually got to speak to a real vet. Maybe your package has that phone number and you can call and ask....

I'll bet she gets better! she's probably a little bit anemic. (Those darn little blood sucking parasites.....) Now, the bad thing is, you should probably dust the whole flock and clean out the coop real good, and dust or spray that too.....Alot of work......ARG! Don't forget to dust her again in 10 days, because then the little eggs will hatch and you'll kill them before they can reproduce.......

Take care!

5. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:I wish I knew, the last time I bought Corrid, there was a number on the package. I called it to get the dosage, because the stuff I got was a powder for bovine. I actually got to speak to a real vet. Maybe your package has that phone number and you can call and ask....

I'll bet she gets better! she's probably a little bit anemic. (Those darn little blood sucking parasites.....) Now, the bad thing is, you should probably dust the whole flock and clean out the coop real good, and dust or spray that too.....Alot of work......ARG! Don't forget to dust her again in 10 days, because then the little eggs will hatch and you'll kill them before they can reproduce.......

Take care!

i just totally cleaned the coop and dusted and sprayed everything.she was already in the house when i did all that and as soon as the ivermectin comes in the flock is getting de-bugged!

6. chicmom

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I've never used that yet, but I may try it.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Since you know she has bugs and is already separates, give her a warm bath in a dog or cat flea/tick shampoo according to package directions. Be sure to get one with an insect growth regulator, which will prevent bugs that hatch later from maturing. DE is not particularly effective at treating a bird, although it may help prevent them in the first place. You need to spray the coop and all wooden components suck as roosts with an actual insecticide that can safely be used in animal housing. Completely replace any bedding, don't just treat it. (I know you said you cleaned, sprayed and dusted the coop, just want to make sure you did it effectively).

Medicated chick feed helps build a bird's own immunity to coccidia when it is at its lowest (as a young chick); It is not like a vaccine that actually renders them completely immune to coccidia. (Actually, many vaccines are not completely 100% effective, although most are highly effective.) A bird can suffer from coccidiosis at any age. Any time a creatures system is stressed, the immune system is compromised and things that would ordinarily not casue infection are more likely to take hold. The immune system does not do its job of fighting off illness, and a germ that would normally be irradicated immediately, multiplies over and over and soon clinical disease occurs. This is demonstrated by the old fashioned idea of illness being caused from getting wet and chilled; it is not entirely inaccurate. The chilling lowers the body's ability to ward off illness, so opportunistic germs progress to a cold or pneumonia or ....

So, what causes a chicken to be stressed? Extreme weather, significant changes in diet, excessive parasites, too much crowding, confinement such as traveling or during shows, too much roosterly attention (be it a favoured hen or roosters fighting each other for dominance), molting, etc.

8. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:yea we did a good cleaning,removed all bedding did a wipe done,used sevin dust ,new bedding then topped with de.i also found an all natural spray to use on the roosts and nest boxes.i really needed to no if i can use the ivermectin injectable in her water this soon after using the corrid?thanks so much for all thwe info...

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:I would.

10. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:I would.

i was actually just ready some worming post that i saw you on...lol so i was thinking since i need to use the ivermectin for bugs maybe i should go ahead and give wazine( or whichever wormer i chose) then wait the 2 weeks and use the ivermectin.whats your thoughts?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by