Sooooo, what exactly is broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azchickadee, Jan 1, 2008.

1. azchickadee

azchickadee Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2007
    Sonoran Desert, AZ
    Ok newbie question. [​IMG] So I see this term all the time but I don't quite know what it means. Enlighten me?

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

it is when a hen is going to or is sitting on her eggs to hatch......... is that what you meant?

3. azchickadee

Oct 12, 2007
    Sonoran Desert, AZ
    I think so. What triggers them to do this?

4. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    In the spring thier hormones can get high and they may start, if eggs collect in the nest the might get the idea, sometimes they just go broody. Another way to think of it is that she is pregnant.

5. okiechick57

..not sure there is an answer to that one. depends on the hen.........., I have a lot if hens......only one so far that is broody....... [​IMG]

6. azchickadee

Oct 12, 2007
    Sonoran Desert, AZ
    hmmmm....ok, I get it. Once they go broody, do they stay on the egg all the time until it hatches?

7. okiechick57

Another tough Q? some / most do.........I have had one.just abandon the nest after a couple of weeks.........but for the most part.yes they do..........
    edited to add...........some go broody with no eggs? just an odd thing they do.even if you remove eggs some still sit.......

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  8. azchickadee

Oct 12, 2007
    Sonoran Desert, AZ
    thanks guys for being patient with my questions! I'm still figuring this thing out. I love all the experience and knowledge on here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by