Soooooo frustrating!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mcjessen, Nov 7, 2011.

1. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    I know that many people have posted on this forum about "mystery" illnesses with their hens. Well, let me add to that list. I've asked about this before but I'm getting sooooo frustrated its crazy.

A couple weeks ago, my BO Beatrice started acting lethargic, had her feathers puffed up and was wobbly on her feet. She would keep clear of the other two girls and pretty much sleep all day. I asked the chicken experts at the feed store about it and she wasn't displaying standard symptoms so they recommended, well, nothing really. They were at a loss. I decided to isolate her in the garage in a old brooder, gave her access to vitamin water, food and yogurt. She spent the night in the garage and the next morning she was perked up and ready to go.

All was fine until three days ago when my other BO, Nelly started acting the exact same way. She is very lethargic and her feathers are puffed up, more so than Beatrice was. I isolated her yesterday and she too spent the night in the garage. This morning, she didn't look any better than yesterday. She won't open her eyes much and is much more wobbly than yesterday. Her crop is full, her poops are watery and stink, she's eating (at least she was yesterday). I'm not sure if she's drinking but she did take some yogurt yesterday. She was interested in nothing by sleeping this morning when I checked on her.

Also, neither of my BO's are laying. And haven't been for about a month now. I have absolutely NO idea why. I see no evidence of molt. They are 7 months old and I don't see new feather growth. No bugs. Coop is cleaned weekly. Food and treats are on the same schedule since...forever.

My B Australorp shows none of these symptoms and has been laying consistently skipping a day a week.

So I'm at a loss. I really don't know what can be causing the "mystery" illness and subsequent recovery. However, I'm afraid I'm going to loose Nelly. She's at the bottom of the pecking order and has always presented as a weaker bird.

Do anybody have an thoughts? Please? I'm almost to the point of needing to cull and I REALLY don't want to do that.

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Your BOs symptoms sound similar to the ones one of my SLW displayed, and we found out she was an internal layer. Her abdomen eventually got very hard and swollen -- I thought it was ascites (fluids in the peritoneum), but when she was culled the mystery was over. I don't know if there is anything that can be done to treat it. [​IMG] Wishing you luck with Beatrice and Nelly!

3. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    Are you SURE there are no bugs? I was convinced I had no bugs until I spent a good 5 minutes staring at a bit of chicken skin I exposed. Sure enough, quickly and tinier than a speck, I saw a little mite run across. Take a good long look to be sure!

4. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    I'll look again for bugs and do some more research on mites. This is just so frustrating to have no answers when outwardly they look healthy.

I welcome any other thoughts on the matter. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by