Sooooooo Disappointed, lost 2 of my 3 remaining Cuckoo Silkie chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenzoo, Jun 7, 2010.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

This is the third time I've tried to hatch these suckers, [​IMG] first time I got one to survive, second time none hatched and this time out of 8 eggs I got three to develop and hatch, but after a few days the best 2 just went downhill and stopped eating/drinking and despite my best efforts of fluids and handfeeding I lost them.[​IMG] Hope the last one makes it... just makes me so sad. All the ones from my eggs hatched and are surviving, I guess the trip was just too much on them. [​IMG]

2. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Aw. I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

3. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I wonder why? Are they just harder to raise than other breeds? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I don't know, I've hatched all the ones from my Cuckoo hen & Black roo, but very few from shipped eggs. I'm starting to think I'm not suppose to have them. [​IMG]

5. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    It is probably just me, but I think silkie eggs may be a little sensitive to shipping. I have had many eggs and only gotten a few silkie chicks from them. I have had pretty good hatches from shipped eggs on most other breeds.

edited for spelling

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Quote:This... [​IMG]

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I was wondering about this I thought it might just be me. I am trying to hatch a few for a niece of mine I have been having a hard time so far, the eggs I have been getting are shipped too.

8. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    [​IMG]

9. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I wonder....... is that possible for a certain breed's eggs to be extra sensitive? I ordered a dozen silkie eggs and none hatched. I bought 2 dozen from bobbi porto and only 8 are developing right. Lockdown tomorrow!

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

It seems a lot of people are having trouble this year.................

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by