Sophia limping, holding foot up

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by melroseladi, Oct 10, 2011.

1. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    Sophia was fine all morning while I was outside with them but I just looked out my window and noticed her limping. I went out to check on her and she is holding her leg up while foraging but limping on it when she is trying to walk. I don't see any blood and so far no swelling that I could see. Suggestions?

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    She may have a big splinter or thorn in it. Or she could have pulled something in the leg if she got it caught somehow, possibly even just a torn toenail. Guineas are notorious for hurting themselves and can and do just all of a sudden coming up with unexplained, unobvious mystery injuries (as I am sure you know, they are not the brightest of poultry). Keep an eye on her and watch for any swelling, injuries or forming abscesses in the next few days, but most likely she'll baby her leg until she's healed up and back to normal. If you do eventually find an injury/wound on her, wash and medicate it then keep an eye on it to make sure the others do not cannibalize her wound. I swear by Blu-Kote as a great antiseptic and it always works great as far as hiding wounds and scabs.

3. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    Thanks Peeps. I checked it last night and didn't see any cuts or blood or swelling. I will keep an eye on it today though and see how she does. She was doing a lot of jumping off the shed roof yesterday so maybe she just landed on it wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by