Sophisticated heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Grammahen, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Grammahen

Grammahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    I have a heat lamp out in my coop with a timer on it. Pretty easy device, just plug it in and set it. It will go off later in the morning because it gets too warm in there while I am at work. I have it set to go back on early evening.

ButÂ… Do you know of any way that I can rig my heat lamp to go on and off by the temperature of the coop? Some sort of thermostat? That would be better I think.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I do believe they exist. Just like the timer but attached to a thermostat. I think some home depots sell them and some feed stores for that reason to keep things from freezing in winters.

3. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
  4. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    This is a great idea. I might have to do something with this....lol.

5. Grammahen

Feb 23, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    Wow thats great! Just what I need. I'll have to go find one. Thanks so much all!
    [​IMG]

6. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    Quote:those are what i use. mine are sold by Reddy Heater but any line voltage remote thermostat will work.

7. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I have a plug that attaches to my heat lamp that turns on when the coop gets to 32 and off when it gets to 42. I've seen more pricey ones out there that you can set the temperature on. A good place to check is the reptile sections at pet stores.

I bought my plug thingy at a feed store.

8. Grammahen

Feb 23, 2009
    Southern New Hampshire
    Thanks!
    [​IMG] I'll try the reptile sectiion at pet stores. I went all over town today 5 different stores and no luck!

9. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a reptile thermostat in my bator and brooder. Works great. Worth the $40ish I paid for it. Look online for a few good deals.

Anny, I use a thermocube to keep heat on my rabbits. Like you said, turns on at freezing and shuts off at around 40. Not good enough from brooding but keeps the critters warm on a cold night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by