1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sore between the quills on his legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shabana, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Heya

My little sablepoot roo had scaley leg when I bought him.
    I bought a scaley leg product by nettex and followed the directions and for a time they looked much better, the deposits went and all looked like it was going in the right direction.

Periodically I check him and give his legs a squirt. I noticed yesterday that between the quills on his legs it was red raw. I've slapped some sudocrem on his legs which is for babies bums (nothing in it that says Cain / Caine ) and is for sores/burns/rashes and then sprayed his legs with the purple spray.

Can anyone tell me if this is still a symptom of scaley leg and if so would I be better switching products as it clearly stings him.
    I understand some people use Vicks and Vaseline and I can try that but I wanted to check first if it sounded to you guys like a continuation of the scaley leg.

I've had him maybe 5 months and treated him consistently for the first 2 to 3, now I just spray every couple of weeks as a prevention.
    There are no deposits but his scales are still lifted a bit and not quite right.

Many thanks x

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Have you treated the roost every time along with him? They will hide in the roost too. I used regular coconut oil on mine (all I had on hand when I bought him) and it worked great. The mites don't need something to "kill" them, they need something to smother them. This is why we use so many common things to cure and prevent. Any oil or Vaseline will work and start at the top of the scales and work your way down (so they have nowhere to run to). When he is treated you want to treat the entire roost making sure you get every crack. I have found standing them in oil is the easiest way to apply for me as I don't need help to get everything covered.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Nu-Stock or sulfur salve are what i've found to be the most effective treatments for scaly leg. You are better off with emulsified concentrates like Ravap or Permectrin II when it comes to treating roosts, and coop premises. Both are labeled for use on and around poultry. It is important to massage the sulfur salve or Nu-Stock starting at the hock joint where scales begin, down the shank, to the end of the toes. Work it gently into the scales. The best time to do it is at night when chickens are calm on the roosts. This gives time for the product to penetrate without them running around and attracting dirt, etc. I use a headlamp built into a ball cap's bill that allows me to see well while my hands are free. Surgical gloves should be worn. I like the blue nitrile ones for durability.

4. Shabana

Thanks !!
    Ok I didn't know to treat the roosts but I do routinely spray clean and dust with DE.
    I will oil him up tomorrow night!! I assume you do this for a few nights on the trot ?
    Persistent monkeys aren't they though, I've been battling the buggers for weeks now - hope this works :)

Thanks all xx

5. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Yes you do it for a few nights in a row and make sure to do it again in 7 days for any eggs. DE is a great preventive but not a treatment. It makes it a hostile environment for them to come into. Your rooster already had a problem when he came to your home and the DE didn't stand a chance. The mites were too far in. They like to hide as deep under the scales as they can making it hard for anything but a liquid to get in there. This is why we are lucky that we can smother them, because without something to smother them with we would be almost useless at treating them. My rooster showed no signs of mites after the 2nd treatment but I still did a third treatment just to make sure. It just looks so painful and I didn't want to have to have him go threw them again.

6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    DE won't do anything for mites. Time and time again people post about mite problems that have been using DE. Emulsified concentrates like I previously mentioned have a 21-30 day residual, unlike any powdered form of treatment like carbaryl or pyrethrine dusts.

7. Shabana

Thanks for the replies :D
    Well my little roo called Slipper is like a greasy weasel lol from the hip down !! The little suckers hopefully won't get through that !!
    He's not impressed but I'm pretty hopeful.

Thanks all for the advice.
    Gonna keep it up for a week or do and repeat for eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by