Sore duck leg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farm316, Aug 12, 2014.

1. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    So Splash also has a problem with his left leg.. he seems to be limping yesterday we put some peroxide and put it on his open wound on his leg… H is a little cranky I put our 2 week old baby ducklings in there with him I might have too pull the babes out so he can relax and rest

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Not a good idea to put ducklings in with a drake he can kill them. what kind of wound is on his leg can you post a pic?

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Without knowing more about the wound I want to share that he must be kept away from flies - they can lay their eggs in open wounds and cause trouble upon trouble.

Saline solution or Vetericyn sprayed on the wound four times a day would be a good start.

4. farm316

Jul 28, 2014
    The wound is not open and has dried blood.. I am mainly conceded about how sore it is, he doesn't want you to touch it and he can barely walk must less eat and drink...I can try and get a pic but it might just frighten him. Slip and Slurp (Female Rouen's) Wait for him sometimes while they free range but its getting worse day by day, he is now in his house and trying to rest, it doesn't help that our chickens are so loud:)

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I doubt the chickens bother him that much it's normal part of his life. have you been able to examine his leg real good to determine what kind of wound? some nice warm salty water will wash off any blood and help clean out the wound. could he have gotten snake bit? I wouldn't let him free range while he is like this it will just keep it from healing quicker. If you use salty warm water and just let it wash over the wound then you aren't touching it. But at some point you may have to. wrapped in a towel keeps them from struggling so much. If it's infected you may have to think about an oral antibiotic for him. please let us know whats going on and what you find once you clean it good.

6. farm316

Jul 28, 2014
    Thanks:) He need to be with his females the only prob we have is that they have a small pool and I am not sure if we can put the pool in his coop, I will be able to post some pics tomorrow.. So I can tell you what happens tomorrow

Thanks

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Any updates today?

8. farm316

Jul 28, 2014
    yes, he seems to be doing much better, the limp is still there, he's in his coop right now… So that should help.. Do you know of any sort of vitamin?? that we could give him so that he will heal faster??

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I use Poultry Nutri Drench with my flock ,you can get it at TSC and there are other vitamins for poultry too, but PND can be mixed in their water. directions on the bottle. happy to hear he is much better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by