Sore hot foot!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Scooter, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Scooter

Scooter Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2007
    Western WA
    Hi,

We got back from vacation yesterday and noticed that our lovely big fat marans is limping. Our neighbor did a great job of looking after our girls but hadn't noticed the limp so we don't know how long it's been a problem.

I'm guessing she has some kind of infection in the leg or foot because it feels warm compared with her other leg. The problem area seems to be the blue patch between her toes. There don't appear to be any cuts or wounds on the foot itself.

She can still put weight on it but she seems uncomfortable.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks,

Roz

[​IMG]

2. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    People will tell you Bumblefoot, its a staph infection. There are lots of threads on it s treatment and after care. Good luck

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    *Bump* Just to see if anyone else agrees or has something different to say.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Unless I can see the bottom of the foot, I can't say bumblefoot. It looks more like the toe is broken or something-that appears to be bruising.

5. Scooter

Oct 30, 2007
    Western WA
    Thanks for the bump, Farmer Kitty. I'll try to get pictures of the bottom of her foot. Of course this has happened while my husband is travelling and my baby is sick, so not sure how I'll get the pictures taken until nap time.

Her foot being hot suggests infection, but I have seen conflicting info. on antibiotic use (what's safe to use for egg layers, etc.). Any thoughts?

Roz

6. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    JMHO...if she has staph infection, without proper antibiotic..she could die.

check for broken toe..just to mske sur.

separate with food and water close by so she can rest the foot.

7. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    It doesn't look red...it looks like a bruis or break and that can make the whole foot feel fevered. Please show us the bottom of her foot.

8. Scooter

Oct 30, 2007
    Western WA
    I will try to get a picture of the bottom of her foot tomorrow morning when my neighbor is around to help. I tried today but couldn't by myself! Probably looked quite funny trying.

How do I check for a broken toe? And is there any way to confirm staph infection?

I've been trying to find a local vet who'll see chickens with no luck (what's up with that?). Anyone in Western Washington (Eastside) with any vet recommendations?

I'll separate her in the morning. I have a big dog crate I can use so she won't be trying to get up to the roosts / nest boxes etc.

Thanks for all the support. I'll keep you posted.

9. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    You will have to bend the toe to see if its broke, thats really the only way. She should show you if shes in pain too.

10. Scooter

Oct 30, 2007
    Western WA
    OK thanks. I'll check her toes and post more pix tomorrow. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by