Sore leg, broken? Not sure

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eastbaychicks, Jan 28, 2010.

1. eastbaychicks

eastbaychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    I have a RIR that I suspected she was babying one leg for a while. She has always been waiting to eat until no one was there, and she would often lift up the same leg while standing. Well this was a week ago and I thought it was just in my head. That was until yesterday when I found her outside laying down. I brought out snacks for everyone and she just laid there, and then I was worried when the snack bowl had been abandoned that she never showed up or moved from her spot. I picked her up and she would eat from my hand (which she'll never do)... and even like gang busters, her crop was empty! Thankfully she ate at least a cup of food before bed, I made sure she had water and tucked her into a nesting box so she could lay down some where really clean (I just changed the bedding in there). In the morning about 8 am she was in the same place.

So I've felt her leg and it feels normal, I see no signs of internal bleeding, but the weird thing is that her toes, well all but one, feel ice cold. It seems like she can flex her leg up toward her body but she can't flex her toes out very well.

Help me out here, what do I do. Is she sick, broken, will she heal on her own if I keep her rested and off her foot. If so, she's pooping a lot on her feathers around her vent. How do I prevent that. I so have no idea what to do here. Some pictures to help out.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Check the bottom of her foot- for bumblefoot. Makes it seem like a leg injury...Good luck!

3. eastbaychicks

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    Checked.... it looks clear to me.

Also I have been trying to feel around for her to tense up and it seems there is a place at her hip. She really just sort of jerks her whole body and it feels like a tendon is popping when I put my finger around an area under her leg. Ah, I don't want her to be in pain. She's sitting in the sun looking at the other chickens outside. I can tell she's sad.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I agree- I don't see anything that looks like bumble foot. Darn-I am sorry. I hope she recovers. Good luck!

5. eastbaychicks

Aug 19, 2009
    Livermore
    Thanks..... anyone else? What should I do? She seriously will not move, and when she does she's in so much pain it takes her an hour to calm down. She's freaking out! Ahhhhh this sucks.... help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by