Sore leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carlape, Oct 29, 2011.

1. carlape

carlape Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    My rooster has had a sore leg for a week now. He stands on it, but limps when he walks,he will also lay down. When I touched it there were no alarming responses. Any suggestions?
  2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think these are often injuries, maybe from jumping down where he can't flap his wings to slow the descent, maybe just from being a chicken and getting it caught or hung. It can also be infection or something degenerative or congenital, as in people. I think most of the time they respond to rest, maybe confinement in a cage for a week or so, or maybe just limiting his activity however you can. Certainly I'd look at any high place he may be jumping down from, to see if I could eliminate that. I'd feel the area for warmth and look for any redness, signs of inflammation. Sometimes a splint or vet wrap will limit activity. I'll give you a link; maybe you will see something that will help.
  3. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    It can be an early sign of Marek's. My little D'Uccle developed a limp that (over several weeks) spread to her other leg and one wing. She ate well and was alert until the day before she died. I don't know that it was Marek's but the things I've read say "maybe." She had her own cage. I'm watching the others carefully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by