Sore leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carlape, Oct 29, 2011.

1. carlape

carlape Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Wisconsin
    My rooster has had a sore leg for a week now. He stands on it, but limps when he walks,he will also lay down. When I touched it there were no alarming responses. Any suggestions?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think these are often injuries, maybe from jumping down where he can't flap his wings to slow the descent, maybe just from being a chicken and getting it caught or hung. It can also be infection or something degenerative or congenital, as in people. I think most of the time they respond to rest, maybe confinement in a cage for a week or so, or maybe just limiting his activity however you can. Certainly I'd look at any high place he may be jumping down from, to see if I could eliminate that. I'd feel the area for warmth and look for any redness, signs of inflammation. Sometimes a splint or vet wrap will limit activity. I'll give you a link; maybe you will see something that will help.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

3. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    It can be an early sign of Marek's. My little D'Uccle developed a limp that (over several weeks) spread to her other leg and one wing. She ate well and was alert until the day before she died. I don't know that it was Marek's but the things I've read say "maybe." She had her own cage. I'm watching the others carefully.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by