Sore leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carlape, Nov 12, 2013.

1. carlape

carlape Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Hello,
    I have a large Brahma rooster, that has a sore leg. It started out as more of a gimp, and now it has progressed to him either laying down, or standing...he won't walk on it. I have checked the bottom of the foot and have found nothing (to my novice eye), isn't bumblefoot have a dark mark? Anyway, he is with the other chickens (they don't mess with him so I thought this would be less stress on him.) He does seem to be getting better, but I want to make sure that I am doing what I can/should. Suggestions/thoughts?
    Thank you,
    Carla

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How long has he been like this, and how old is he? Its possible that he strained/sprained his leg, for example while jumping off of a roost. I would personally isolate him from the other birds in a well bedded area/pen/crate, with no roost. Give him some vitamins and electrolytes to help him heal. Most of all, leg injuries need rest to heal.

3. carlape

carlape Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Wisconsin
    He has been this more significantly lame for about one week now, but he is getting better with my treatment, so I am hoping he will continue. He is about 5-6 years old. He doesn't roost, they lay on a heavy bed of straw.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by