Sore on Beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alc245, Jul 5, 2016.

1. alc245

alc245 Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Upstate New York
    Hi everyone, 2 questions we are looking for help with.
    1. Our 4 month old buff Orphington has what looks like a sore on her top beak. It has red and black area and looks like the beak is flaking a little, sore is round and maybe 3/4 cm diameter. Any ideas of how I can help her?

2. Our 4 month rainbow has a pinpoint black spot on the tip of her comb and I'm afraid it's going to turn into avian pox, so far she looks healthy and happy, should I be worried?

Thanks for your help!

2. Yoako

Yoako Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2015
    Is it possible for you to send us photos?

Thanks

3. alc245

alc245 Just Hatched

Jul 5, 2016
    Upstate New York
    [​IMG]

Hi there! I actually got some advice from a vet and they think it is a keratin defect that should heal on it's own, phew!

4. Nofowlplay

Nofowlplay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2013
    In the backyard
    [​IMG]
    Just noticed this on my white Cochin. It had a scab on it that fell off easily. I cleaned it with a little normal saline solution then dabbed blue coat on it. Is it something I can do more about? What could have caused it? Should I be worried? Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Keep an eye on it, but most likely it was from a cut possibly through fencing or on a feeder.
    Since it had a scab. If it starts to swell, ooze or have pus, then you will need to re-evaluate.

1 person likes this.
  6. Nofowlplay

Nofowlplay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2013
    In the backyard
    Thank you! So far it looks dry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by