sore or photo-sensitive eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bandera Grassland, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Bandera Grassland

Bandera Grassland Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    One of my young hens that recently began laying, is walking around with one eyelid closed. There does not seem to be any discharge from the eye or her nostrils. I've seen no signs of respiratory distress. It is possible she scratched the eye. If that is the case, should I be putting some kind of drop in it, or just leave her alone. She is a bit stand-offish. I would only be able to handle her after she goes to sleep. Is there any eye related syndrome that can occur at the onset of egg laying that I should be aware of? When she briefly opens the eye it doesn't appear discolored, but I'm judging from a distance of about three feet. She seems to nap more frequently than a lot of the other birds.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I have no ideas for you sorry.

How is she doing now?

3. Bandera Grassland

Oct 19, 2010
    She is still keeping the eye closed. If I could handle her I would put the same antibiotic drops in her eye that I'm using for an infection I got when cleaning out the dust from the floor of her coop. Perhaps she has the same infection. Now that the dust is gone, maybe it will clear up on its own. She is a Blue Andalusian. That breed is not affectionate like my Cubalayas. The Andalusians are a little flighty. She lets me near, but doesn't want to be touched.

4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    You need to take a closer look at the eye- catch her at night when she is sleeping/roosting and gently open the eye. Check for plant material, wounds ect. If you decide you want to put drops in the eye- make it happen! Put her in a cat carrier, dog crate, plastic bin with mesh on top ect- so you can easily pick her up twice or more times a day.

5. Bandera Grassland

Oct 19, 2010
    Okay. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by