Sore throat cures

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by MonkeyZero, Sep 17, 2009.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Hiya

I am in a dilemma.
    Tonight I have 2 opera solos to do for school. However, I have a sore throat. I decided to do some easier songs, but I really need to feel better.
    THe show is in 5 hours. Can anyone help?
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

PS for those curious what songs I am doing, I am doing Der Holle Rache- Mozart
    and
    Les Oiuseux dan la charmille- offenbach
    [​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I know that when I have a sore throat...HONEY is the best antidote. I don't know why, but I take a spoonful (or two) of honey and my throat feels so much better.

Then there's Chloraseptic, in both spray and strip form.

3. Mermaid

Mermaid Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    I usually gargle garlic juice and salt when I have a hurting throat. Usually heals right up!

4. chickenmum

chickenmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Hot tea? [​IMG]

Maybe with honey or would that make it worse?

Breath a hot washcloth?

Sorry to hear about this.
    Blessings!

5. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Thanks for the FAST replies
    I did take honey, and tea and garlic and ginger and steam, and gargling. No help... Strangley. Ive had the sore throat for 2 days..
    [​IMG]

6. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

THE best thing is to gargle with warm salt water. As warm and salty as you can stand it. Works EVERY time. Try it and let me know.

7. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    Quote:Do you have voice lessons? If so, I would contact your teacher for advice. I know there was something that the voice students used to take when I was at music school (back in the last century), but I can't for the life of me recall what it was. For some reason, Ricola is ringing my bell, but I couldn't be sure.

break a leg

8. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Sometimes sick is sick. Sorry that you are going through this. I would see if there are some message boards for singers to check out. Honey only made me feel like I had more stuff in my throat ... on the other hand, you would not want to hear me sing, sore throat or otherwise. I sound like a rooster stuck in the coop door.

The hot tea thing, each swallow held in the back of my throat as long as I could take it, was what I would do when I had to fly with a sore throat. That and a hot moist towel over the mouth and nose as long as possible.

Sorry to hear you're down on your big night.

Edit: Found this on the Internetz
    Drink herb tea with/lemon & honey & a bit of cayenne pepper, when there's a sore throat.
    Stay away from too many dairy products. They create mucous.

http://www.jazzboulevard.com/bksample.html

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  9. MonkeyZero

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    I am in a choir, but the teacher is out with her hubby for a mini vacation to Napa, and I guess she forgot her phone...

10. Crusty McPottydoodle

Crusty McPottydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    The Wet Coast
    Quote:Is there a university with a music department near where you live? Perhaps you could call and ask to speak to one of their voice teachers.

You could even try to find a voice teacher where you live and call. It couldn't hurt. the worst they could say is they can't help you.

I drink tea with lots of honey and lemon when my throat hurts. I also take advil for the pain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by