Sore throat????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by birdgirl408, Jan 25, 2017.

1. birdgirl408

birdgirl408 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    I have a 9 month old hen (amongst 2 oldies and 2 sisters) and she seems to have a sore throat. They are all at present confined to their run because of H5N8 virus which apparently is spreading from Europe (we live in the U.K.) The other hens are fine (at the moment!) Dusty has just started laying and we are experiencing quite a cold winter, she has only got this raspy noise/throat today. Is there anything I can do, will it go away, or is it the beginning of something really serious? I am very worried [​IMG] and reasonably new to chicken keeping. Any help or advice you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. [​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    There are quite a few here on BYC that are on lockdown fro H5N8 I'll link you to that thread as well.

How are you keeping them? My first thought is since you are having to keep them housed (not sure what your rules are) that there may not be enough ventilation(?). Sometimes if they are "cooped up" and not enough air circulating to keep ammonia and dust levels down, this could irritate the respiratory system.

If you have another place where you can separate her so you can monitor her symptoms more closely that would be good. Offer her some poultry vitamins in her water and give a little extra protein like egg or tuna.

Some symptoms of respiratory illness are coughing, sneezing, wheezing, runny/watery eyes, mucous from the nostrils. If you have any of those symptoms then investigate further. Sometimes with respiratory illness antibiotic treatment may be in order to help control any secondary infections that appear with illness, but you will most likely need to consult a vet.

You can try an OTC "remedy" like VetRx. I have never used it, but some people report that it is like Vick's Vapor Rub (mentholated rub) for chickens. If she doesn't improve when moved to fresh air/being separated, then that would be the first step to take (IMHO) unless you see mucous, runny eyes or respiratory distress.

This thread is active, so I'm sure some folks on there may have some ideas too:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1144502/is-anyone-locking-down-for-avian-flu

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  3. birdgirl408

birdgirl408 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    Thanks for your prompt reply WyopRock. My chooks are confined to their smallish run which houses the coop. I leave the coop doors open during the day too, so it's not a ventilation problem and the ventilation is good through the night time too. There is no coughing, sneezing or wheesing, nose and beak are clean, so it, whatever IT is, is in very early stages. I have put a chook tonic in the drinking water and started a 7 day course of Flubenvet and am adding extra protein as you suggested. So fingers crossed things should improve. They all have a really good nutricious diet, and their feathers are in good condition, so hopefully these minor symptoms that Dusty has will go very soon. Am keeping a close eye, and the chooks are on lockdown' here too until 28th February unless DEFRA extend again! They miss their free ranging so much. Thanks again for your suggestions. Hope all is well with you and yours too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by