Sores between toes, frostbite?

AOrchard

Songster
May 27, 2020
Wisconsin
My little 3 month old pullet stranded herself outside in the snow 2 days ago and her toes were frozen to the touch when I found her after she wasn't in the coop at sundown (5 F and 2 ft of snow here). Got her inside the house and warmed her up, but she was also pretty thin and weak, so I kept her inside where it's warm with vitamins to try to see what's up. She wasn't walking well still after an overnight in the house, so I checked her out and found sores between her toes, 2 on each feet, all same location between toes. I'm not sure what to make of it. Is this related to frostbite, or is this more like unrelated but poorely timed bumblefoot. Everyone else in the coop is happy, haven't seen this before. She's a whiting true blue,

Attachments

• PXL_20210217_192247301.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210217_192247301.MP.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210217_192310118.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210217_192310118.MP.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 11
To me, this looks like serious frostbite with skin coming off on her one toe already. Was she like glued to the icy ground when you found her?

To me, this looks like serious frostbite with skin coming off on her one toe already. Was she like glued to the icy ground when you found her?
Is it saveable, or is she going to lose her foot/feet? I will put her down if it's critical 😢

She was in a snow drift sunk in up to her chest. There were no footprints to her, so she must have tried to fly and then fell into the soft snow and couldn't get out? Her feet were down in the snow, not tucked up into her feathers. The run is all shoveled out now, so it can't happen again. I didn't realize this could happen, I feel so bad.

Is it saveable, or is she going to lose her foot/feet? I will put her down if it's critical 😢

She was in a snow drift sunk in up to her chest. There were no footprints to her, so she must have tried to fly and then fell into the soft snow and couldn't get out? Her feet were down in the snow, not tucked up into her feathers. The run is all shoveled out now, so it can't happen again. I didn't realize this could happen, I feel so bad.
@Eggcessive just had some recommendations for frostbite treatment to save the toes/feet: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ature-frostbite-on-feet.1445114/post-24010287

Bandaged her feet with antibiotic ointment overnight and again this morning. More swelling in the feet today. She's eating and drinking with gusto at least.

Sorry that I am just seeing this as we had no power or anything else for the last 4 days. That looks pretty severe because of the bluish tint and swelling, but I think we should know more in several more days as the tissue may change. I would not bandage the feet, but bring her inside, and soak in warm Epsom salts water daily followed by spraying Vetericyn on them. No massaging or rubbing the feet or legs, since that can damage the tissue more. A clean towel for bedding in a dog crate would be good. I really hope her feet are nit too bad, but you should know more within a week or so.

Thank you. Can you post more pictures in a few days? That might be helpful. I remember a case from a year or two ago where parts of the foot or toes were affected by frostbite, and although the chicken lost some of one foot, the other was spotty, and the chicken could still get around well enough to survive.

Back
Top Bottom