sores/bumps on chicks beaks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by countrygirl96, Dec 16, 2010.

1. countrygirl96

countrygirl96 New Egg

Dec 16, 2010
    hi! so i have 8 chickens. five are quite a bit younger than the rest. ive noticed that two of my younger chicks have a big, black looking sore on their beaks, and it seems that they keep getting bigger. they dont seem to notice it at all but im a little worried and curious about what they are... any ideas?:L

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I'd separate the two out immediately so that they can't infect the others. Diseases in chickens spread fast.
    I found this on another thread, written by chickenzoo:

For those new and old I thought I'd make a list of some of the more common illnesses since it is a common question.... I'll add more when I can......

MG/MS - One celled organism that attaches itself to the lining of the lung tissue. Spread easily through wet body fluids , such as snot, saliva, and poo. Possible wild bird exposure can contribute. Can be a carrier state, meaning once they have it, they may always be carriers. Often seems to show up during times of stress, Controlled with antibacterial medications such as Tiamulin, Tylan, LA200, Baytril and some Sulfa drugs. Bleach products are known to help kill the organism.
    Symptoms: Wet, water eye/eyes (typically one) and nostrils, swollen sinus, open mouth breathing, wheezing, loss of weight, underdevelopment, failure to grow, when MS is present : limb atrophy, limping, Marek type symptoms...... MG/MS can accompany other diseases or mimic them as well, so MG tests should be done to verify diagnosis. Birds should be Quarantined and kept away from all other birds, should be handled last and all clothes/shoes disinfected before handling other birds or walking where there are other birds or those coming in contact with other birds. (Such as others property, feed stores etc....)

Coryza - Spread easily through wet body fluids, such as saliva, snot and poo. Can be a carrier state, although some success has been noted by using Coryza vaccines.
    Symptoms: Watery, pussy eye (typically one). Yellow, thick snot from nares as illness progresses, often see nostril wipes on birds back feathers. Often has very bad smell about the face from secondary infections. Wheezing, swollen sinus full of puss, open mouth breathing, loss of weight, failure to thrive. Treatment: Tylan, LA 200, Baytril, some Sulfur products such as Sulmet. Often hard puss balls form under third eye lid, in roof of mouth and must be removed. Birds should be Quarantined and kept away from all other birds, should be handled last and all clothes/shoes disinfected before handling other birds, or walking where other bird owners my come in contact.

Fowl Pox- Similar to chicken pox in people. 2 versions, Wet or Dry, Wet being the more serious. Carried by mosquitoes and can even have an outbreak in cooler weather, passed from bird to bird by bites or contact with open wounds the bite leaves. Symptoms - Raised white wart like bumps with blackened scabs, often first noticed on face, eyelids, comb, wattles but can be found anywhere on the skin.
    Scabs crust up and may bleed when picked at, some respiratory symptoms may show such as open mouth breathing and wheezing, watery eye and nares. With outbreak of Wet pox respiratory symptoms worsen, canker type yellow lesions form in the mouth, often blocking throat if not removed, threat of death more sever. Treatment - iodine swabbed on open scabs and on cankers in throat, use of Tylan, La200, Baytril are known to help recovery, especially for Wet pox. One bird has contracted Fowl Pox, usually will not reoccur in that bird. Fowl Pox vaccines are available and are often used in high outbreak locations.

Last edited by chickenzoo (11/23/2010 3:27 am)

3. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    can you post pictures.?

5. countrygirl96

countrygirl96 New Egg

Dec 16, 2010
    thanks guys and yes ill try to get some pics up tommorow, mabey that will help?

6. kluckin tavern

kluckin tavern New Egg

Nov 9, 2016
    was wondering if tylan is safe for chicks under a month old

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It helps to start a new thread of your own to get more responses, especially since this one is about 6 years old. What symptoms are you seeing in your chicks? I would only give Tylan 50 orally, and I would use about 1/8 to 1/4 ml twice a day for 3-5 days. But it only will treat bacterial respiratory diseases or mycoplasma, and some intestinal diseases, but not viruses that also can cause respiratory infections.

8. kluckin tavern

kluckin tavern New Egg

Nov 9, 2016
    some of my baby chicks have small black sores on their beaks..was was wondering if tylan would have been safe since they are so young

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Could you post a picture of their beaks? Are they getting pecked, or have they got fowl pox from mosquitoes? Tylan is pretty much just for the respiratory diseases and intestinal infections of enteritis. Fowl pox can be seen in pictures if you do a search in the box at the top of this page. It is usually not that serious in older chickens, but can be dangerous in yound chicks.

10. kluckin tavern

kluckin tavern New Egg

Nov 9, 2016
    thanks.. ive been looking for pics but cant find what im looking for.. i raise several breeds of chickens .. i hatch their eggs been doing it for a year now. my other breeds of chickens had fowl pox so i know what that one looks like but as for my babies a few has 1 sore on their beak. i thought maybe it was from fighting but im sure now its probably from mosquitos. here down south louisiana theirs not much i can do about them. i was reading to maybe put iodine on sores and see what happens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by