Sores near vent and yellow under skin; graphic photo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kmfriend, Jul 2, 2016.

1. kmfriend

kmfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    [​IMG]
    This chicken has been lethargic and walking low to ground. Yesterday these sores were red and raw. I soaked her in an Epsom bath and isolated her for the night. Today she was out with the others. Still low walking but spunky when another tried to peck her. I bought some spray (starts with a V, I want to get this post up and I left bottle by coop). I am surprised by the color of her poo as I did not see any like this this morning. When spreading feathers for photo, something small and black scurried away. I looked and looked and could not find others. Mites? I see no other indication on others of mites and I could not see any more on her. Any ideas? And why yellow under skin?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Her lower belly looks a little swollen, as if she might be laying internally, have egg yolk peritonitis, or ascites (fluid in the belly.). That can also be a reason for the bright yellow droppings. Does she lay eggs on a regular basis? The other chickens have probably been pecking her. Watch out for flies and maggots inside that wound.The yellow under the skin may be bruising or an abnormal yellow coloring due to illness, such as liver problems. You could have seen mites or fleas. I would dust her with permethrin garden dust or use 10% spray. The Vetericyn, if that is what you are using is good, or you can also use a plain antibiotic ointment twice a day. Let us know how she gets along. Here is some reading about egg yolk peritonitis:
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
    http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/

3. kmfriend

kmfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    My hen did not get any better, only worse. The sores continued looking better yet she started being even more lethargic and walking lower to the ground. She was a complete loner and just sat against a fence. Last night I put her out of her misery. This morning before disposing of her body, I wanted to see if I could determine if she had egg yolk peritonitis as I could see yellow under her skin. I slit her abdomen and yellow fluid drained out. This leads me to believe she had ascites. Thanks Eggcessive for your information.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome, and I'm sorry for your loss. It is good that you were able to find a cause of her illness. Ascites can be a result of heart or liver failure, cancer, and egg yolk peritonitis. It seems to be very common in hens over 2 years old.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by