Sores on chicks backs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by boogiedown, Jul 6, 2016.

1. boogiedown

boogiedown New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    I have four chicks and four adult hens. The chicks are about eight weeks old we put them out with the adults about two weeks ago. The hens are figuring out pecking order but the chicks know their place and avoid confrontation. Everything seemed reasonably okay with the chicks sticking together and staying out of the way. I pick the chicks up one by one almost every day to check on them and today I found two with feathers missing and some sores on their backs. The skin seemed firm where the feathers were missing. They seem to have no behavioral changes and no other indications of poor health. Please let me know what you think this might be and what I could possibly due to help them, thank you in advance!![​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  2. boogiedown

boogiedown New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How big is the coop and run? Do you have large breeds or bantams?

4. boogiedown

boogiedown New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    The coop in its entirety is 4' X 12'. 8' X 4' open run with 4' X 4' coop. The area beneath the coop is open as well. Large breeds, two Orpington Buffs and two black Hen of which I'm unsure the breed. All full size.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

5. boogiedown

boogiedown New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    [​IMG]

6. boogiedown

boogiedown New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    Any help please?

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Much too small for 8 large breed birds. You've only got enough room for 4 at most. Either build them something bigger within the next week, or start rehoming. Likely, the feather picking is happening during roosting time inside the coop. That coop is much, much too small for all of them. And they are letting you know. And once overcrowding stress behaviors start, they can be very, very difficult to stop, even after adequate space is provided.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  8. boogiedown

boogiedown New Egg

Jul 5, 2016
    I will do something temporary soon and figure out a better long term. When you say roosting are you talking just when roosting at night for sleep? Sorry, I am new to the terms. They flocks of four each sleep separately. The adults roost in the coop at night and the chicks sleep under the coop. The weather is warm enough, they have adequate bedding and sleep in the back corner keeping them out of any drafts.

Please don't think I'm arguing, just trying to understand so I can do the right thing for my flock.

Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by