Sores on the back of scovies legs. *pic included now*

newchickmom09

Songster
10 Years
Jul 15, 2009
ARIZONA
My barred scovy who is 4 weeks old now has sores starting on the backs of his knees. I think it is from laying down all of the time. What can I do to keep the others from getting these and to help this one heal? Can I put some neosporin (sp) and a bandaid on this knees to help them heal. I would get a pics but that is just to hard until my hubby comes home to hold him.

Last edited:
I thought it was weird, non of my other ducks ever got this. I was thinking maybe because he is just heavy, sounds silly but I don't know.
They walk on the grass, porch (concrete), brick bath way, then in there brooder (has foam lining).
Here is a pic of his legs
100_3197.jpg

That is interesting - I can see where you think its from laying down. and it very well may be - that or him flopping out like scovies do on the hard brick and concrete. I would say clean up the sores - put neosporin ointment on it, and put a folded square of gauze tapped there - and see how it does. its an akward spot - but the gauze would help pad the sores till they heal so he won't reopen them - but it might not work since its right there on a joint and he's not going to appreciate something restricting his leg movements - lol.

if anything - pen him on just grass for a bit and keep the areas clean. grass is more forgiving than cement and hopefully will allow him to heal up quicker.

I think it is from him plopping down.
roll.png
I have started to let them out every morning and they love to sit right by my back door instead of the grass. They start chirping and I will open the back door and they waddle inside and go into there brooder. It is really hot outside so I think they like the cooler air inside the house.

I would just put all three outside but the two smaller ones are still so small they can fit threw my chain link fence. After what happened to my chocolate scovie that was the same size as my barred I just want to keep the smaller ones inside longer. But on the other hand this big guy is just getting so big. ( assuming he is a he)

I think that it is healing a little. I have been putting neosporin on the legs once a day in the morning after they take a swim. It isn't pink around the area any more it just looks like the scab now. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it heals up all the way soon.

Back
Top Bottom