Sores on Wattle???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Claye, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Claye

Claye Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hello Everyone, I was wondering if anyone had come across this. We have just noticed sores on our Polish Rooster's wattle and one of his eyes seems sore and closed. We have given him a hair cut but are just unsure what we should do?? It has been extremely wet conditions in QLD at the moment and they are mostly free range as we live on acreage. They do have shelter which is dry from the conditions though. Here are some pictures. Has anyone had this on their chickens and have any idea what to do about it if its not normal??

[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What is QLD? Are you in Australia? (A general location in your profile / avatar often helps us answer questions.) If it is summer where you are, this could be fowl pox, a virus carried by mosquitoes.

If fowl pox, I would put some antibiotic ophthalmic ointment on the eye to manage secondary infection. You can also use plain Neosporin if available. The other lesions, if fowl pox, will simply disappear in 3 weeks, and the bird will be immune to repeat invection.

3. Claye

Claye Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thank You for your reply. Sorry I am new and have now changed my location to Brisbane Australia. Yes we are just coming out of Summer but have had a very wet season at the moment and do have quite a few mosquitoes about. I will give the ointment a try and see how he goes. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by