Sorry, another processing question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by seabreeze, Jul 29, 2011.

1. seabreeze

seabreeze Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Scio, OR
    We've butchered our birds, dunked them in cold water but how in the world do you get them so the meat is soft and pliable (like store bought chicken) and the legs tuck neatly (and elastically) against the sides of the bird? Every time we go to put them in the freezer when we are done, their legs are sticking straight out like tree limbs instead of tucked to the sides.

also, once I put one in a pot to cook, it seems the meat is pretty stringy so is there a secret to keeping/getting the meat soft and pliable after butchering? thanks!

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    You need to let them sit long enough that rigor mortis has passed -- about 24 hours in the fridge. They will go through this stage, and then gradually relax again.

3. seabreeze

Aug 21, 2010
    Scio, OR
    OK, thanks, will give that a try.

4. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yeah, remember that chicken in the store has been sitting in the cooler for quite a while before you take it home and cook it. That's what causes the tenderizing. Same thing with steaks, actually. They need to be aged.

5. Roccomanchickens

Roccomanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    Also, most store bought chicken has been injected with tenderizer and salt. This will change the texture of the meat.

6. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Just be glad your birds don't end up like that store bought mush. If you find the birds tough just tweak your cooking methods at little slower and more moisture plus a little aging.

To get them to come out to like store bought they are going to need to be raised in cramped conditions that limit movment and jam food in 24/7 just to get them to processing in 42 days. Then water chilled to add as much weight as possible for sale. Plus let it sit in a transport truck and store shelf for days until it is 2-3 days short of rotten.

7. seabreeze

Aug 21, 2010
    Scio, OR
    Well, all my flocks are free range/pasture fed so cramping them is not my style [​IMG]

Thanks everyone!

8. TomGallopavo

TomGallopavo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Hillbillyville, MO
    If you eat real chicken, you will not want it to taste like store bought chicken...when your house is filled with the smell of CHICKEN, you will assimilate...assimilate...assimilate...

9. junglebird

junglebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm finding that my lean cockerels have more of the straight leg issue than my pullets, which have much more fat on them. (Dual purpose breeds)

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I let them rest in the fridge for a few days before freezing them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by