1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sorry, another Silkie sexing question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jaimie-22, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Jaimie-22

Jaimie-22 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    Hi,
    I know the pics aren't the best but this is my black L/F bearded Silkie when she was 22 weeks old. These were taken approximately 4 weeks ago, I've tried all day to get an up to date photo but unsucessfully, I'll try again tomorrow.

I bought her as a hen, but this week she had developed white tubing on all her neck feathers and a few of her head ones too. She does look and act a bit different to my other silkie girls but they are all mini and she is L/F.
    Do you think she is really a cockerel?

Thanks for any help

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kelck22

kelck22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    I see a couple streamers coming out of the head feathers. That would make me think boy.

3. Jaimie-22

Sep 5, 2013
    Thanks, looks like I might have to re-home then, I can't have a cockerel where I live. I am annoyed though as I paid £30 for her/him!

4. kelck22

kelck22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    If you post better pics I might tell you differently. Get one of the crest (head feathers), comb and hackle feathers (Neck feathers).

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Those are both 100% girls.

The tubing is just new feathers coming in. Nothing to worry about. At 22 weeks you would know...

[​IMG]
    These are streamers.... This cockerel is 20 weeks.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  6. Jaimie-22

Sep 5, 2013
    I've been trying to get some updated pictures, these are the best I could manage. She certainly doesn't look the same as when I bought her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

She's molting! No worries! :)

8. Jaimie-22

Sep 5, 2013
    Thank you. Think I am a bit paranoid, I am still quite new to Silkies and my first two turned out to be cockerels!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by