Sorry for posting so much but....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Iheartchicks<3:), Aug 3, 2010.

1. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    what do you guys recommend for a chick first aid kit? And i will be making a checklist for my family on a whiteboard and hanging it above the brooder.. what should i put on there for them to do to care for them while im at my dads? They are unexperienced and dont have the slightest clue so what will be short but very straightforward to write on the whiteboard?

2. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    I would suggest giving them this website.
    People here have taught me so much and helped in tough situations too.[​IMG]

3. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    1) Food-feeder filled, not kicked over with shavings
    2) Water- full, not kicked full of shavings
    3) Love- Pet me

Other than that, don't know how old your babies are. Do you have a brooder light you've been turning on and off? Spend a couple minutes 3 or 4 times a day just watching them making sure nobody has injuries, limping, laying around when the others are up and running about. And depending on how long you are gone, someone may have to empty, clean, and refill the brooder.

4. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    I dont even have babies yet XD But im planning it all out being fully prepared...

and sportsterjeep thanks!!

5. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Your very smart to learn all this stuff b4 u get the chickies [​IMG]

I would say the list should have this on it:

1.) Feed chicks & make sure the feeder does not have bedding all in it
    2.) give them fresh water (1 or 2 times a day)
    3.) change the bedding (1 time a day)

and anything else u may want your chickies to have.

I have a feeling your going to be a great chickie parent [​IMG]

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    If you don't have chicks yet why not plan on getting started pullets. I would look in the 6 to 12 week range. That way they will be easier, and less apt to have a crisis while you are away. I know that day old chicks are really cute, but that first 2 weeks can be fraught with troubles, that are not to hard if you really care for them, but if you have to rely on other inexperienced people that may or not care for them, then maybe it would be safer to get the slightly older pullets for now. When you are old enough to stay in one place for longer than now you can then get the day old chicks.

7. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    ?I was thinking about that but i decided i would stay home for a few weeks until they are less fragile and my family can feed/care for them [​IMG] But thanks so much for the input. I really do appreciate it :eek:)

8. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Quote:Thanks!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] i hope soooo! [​IMG]

9. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I would tell them to give them food and water, keep the temp right, and check on them every few hours. If they do that they should be just fine.

10. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    thanks robo [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by