Sorry this might be a stupid question...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by orpingtonbabies, Feb 26, 2011.

1. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    I always thought silkies laid little light brown eggs (BYC breed index said so), so why, on MPC are the white silkie bantam hatching eggs shown as really big white eggs? Did they just not bother to put correct photos (it looked like pretty much all the brown egg breeds were the same picture and all the white the same picture) or do white silkies have white eggs? I don't know why this bothers me, if they're silkies inside why does it matter? but i was just wondering..

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Henderson's says silkies lay a light tint egg. Their pics are just drawings but there is very little color on them. Probably closer to white than even a light brown.

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    my silkies lay light brown, for the pic someone could have just grabbed an egg not realizing someone would notice that it the wrong color and size, they must not know about BYC and how we like to see it done right LOL

4. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    I get white to a creamy light brown, depending on which one it came from.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Hatcheries very seldom use pictures of their own birds so I doubt that they're very worried about whether they've got the correct egg pictured.

6. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:Same here.

7. laughing man

laughing man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    westfield mass
    small and white [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by