1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sorry-yet another fencing concern

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NJbirdlover, Apr 15, 2009.

1. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    We are just about done our 8x6 house and will be starting on our 10x14x 5' high run. This is what I had in mind as far as fencing goes:

2x4 fencing all around but then 1x2 at the bottom buried 12'' and then above ground for 2 feet. Will this be secure enough? I know that 2x4 is a little large but with the smaller fencing at the bottom I was hoping this would be ok. Coop will be covered at the top.

thanks-I have read all of the predator horror stories and just want to do this right!

thanks!

2. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    i don't think the 1X2 above ground will serve the dual purpose it's intended to. you want to not only prevent a predator from entry or compromise of your 2X4 wire but also prevent reaching in or a bird sticking it's head out. 1/4" hardware cloth would work better installed on the inside of the run.

3. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Here is a picture of my fencing, I am not concerned about predators at night as all birds are locked up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    A lot of things could dig under that if they had a mind to; and some chickens may be able to stick their head through 1x2 (depends how paranoid you are).

Personally I would put 2' high 1x1 mesh or hardwarecloth along the inside of the fence, and then lay 2-4' wide 2x4" mesh on or just under the ground as an apron all around the outside of the fence, securely attached to the bottom of the run fence. The apron can be put under sod/turf, or it can be pegged down well and grass encouraged to grow/root up through it (be careful when mowing at first!), or covered with big pavers or rocks or concrete rubble or whatever.

THere are a lot of ways of doing it, it just depends how secure you want the run to be.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by