Sorta new here.. have some questions!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JessTheDuck, Oct 20, 2013.

1. JessTheDuck

JessTheDuck New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    Okay so... I've had my Pekin ducks since April.. so I'm used to pretty much everything, including looking out my window and seeing them just standing there doing aerobics.. I have one hen and one drake, the hen has already started laying eggs. They awkwardly do their little mating ritual when I put them in their pool... very... awkwardly. BUT.... cold weather is coming, and I'm not really sure what the best way to take care of them in the winter is, especially since there's no way I can get electric to that part of my yard. There's some odd little things that I'm wondering about, and thought someone here might know. For starters, Lucy (my hen) has a black spot on the back part of one of her feet. I've been thinking it might be kinda like the duck equivalent of a callus. Another thing... every so often, I'll see her standing completely still in the middle of the yard or something, laying her head on her back sort of to the side... it's difficult to explain, but does anyone know anything about that? She also makes a little bit of a weird honking noise when she's swallowing water... it doesn't seem normal. I didn't realize until just now that all of the weird things are going on with her specifically. She also hasn't been quite as... water-resistant lately. Does it have anything to do with the nutrients going into her eggs? I've been meaning to join this site for months now, so the questions sorta piled up...

If anyone has any answers for me, then thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. BettyBlueSilkie

BettyBlueSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    WA
    [​IMG] some ducks normally do that ''laying her head on her back sort of to the side''for extra rest. send a pic of her walking and I will get back to you

3. JessTheDuck

JessTheDuck New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    OHH okay. That makes sense. I'll try and get you that picture [​IMG]

4. BettyBlueSilkie

BettyBlueSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    WA
    ok thanks!

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

What kind of shelter do they have? My solution is not for everybody, but I will toss it out here. When it became very clear that a number of my runners were not thriving below 35F, I brought them into a part of my walkout basement at night during the winter. It has worked out very very well. I have nine runners, and now four buffs. It still works well.

The water resistance could be that her feathers are worn and she needs to molt. Make sure she is getting good nutrition, and I would consider giving her just a little dry cat kibble for extra protein. Do you give them poultry vitamins ever? Those are nice to have around for times of stress or injury.

A video of the honking noise might be nice. I have found that some of my ducks make their own unique noises. But maybe she has a respiratory problem. Maybe not, though.

A black spot may be nothing. Is it swollen? What does it feel like? Does she limp or favor the foot?

6. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Agreed. I had Pekins that developed black spots on the feet and bills with age. They were fine. And those gals liked the snow. Just provide them with a cozy dry spot that they can go to when they want. I only provide supplemental heat when temperatures fall into the sub zero range and during extreme winter storms. (Of course, I have new ducks this year, Runners, so I may be modifying my approach as cold continues to set in) I think what Amiga has told you is key: you will need to watch your flock and adapt your flock management to your flock's needs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by