Sorta-Newbie in Virginia

NinjaSalad

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2017
Southwest Virginia
Hello from SW Virginia!

We are getting ready to start our chicken journey in the coming weeks and have been reading this site like crazy - lots of great info to absorb.

A few years ago, we rented a house on an organic farm. Initially, there were 25 hens and one rooster to care for. Unfortunately, the coop was NOT secure - the landlord had no plans to secure it and wouldn't let any of his tenants make modifications either. By the time we moved six months later, the flock was down to 5 thanks to the local coyotes
hit.gif
It was a sad situation, but we did learn a bit (about what NOT to do) while we were there.

We recently moved to a new house in the city that has an extra half lot. Currently, the half lot is just grass (totally sucks to mow) but we are planning on turning it into our own little urban homestead complete with chickens and veggie gardens. At the moment we are just vermicomposting in our basement and can't wait to expand!

We are allowed to have up to 10 chickens but I'm thinking we will probably start with 3-4 this year. We plan on building our coop and run to accommodate the max though because I'm sure chicken math=10 will come in to play at some point...

At the moment, we are anxiously waiting for our heating plate to arrive so we can pick out our chicks, and as long as the snow stays away we will start working on building the coop this weekend.

Looking forward to RESPONSIBLE chicken-keeping and learning more from this awesome community!!!

You have some exciting plans coming up. Wish you a very successful build and hope you will take photos. Do you know what breeds you will be getting?
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks! We will definitely document our adventures.

As for breeds, it really depends on what's available locally when we have our brooder ready. My husband is hoping for an Amerauacana since he fell in love with them on the farm. Our local TSC had some but they were straight run. I'm open to whatever, lol.

Last edited:
Howdy, howdy, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I am so glad you were able to join us, and I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

What part of SW VA, I live in SW, VA too! I'm near Hillsville.

welcome-byc.gif

It sounds like you have some exciting plans! If you'd like to chat with other members in VA, you can find your state thread using the link at the bottom of my post.

Good luck with everything and if you have questions, always feel free to ask...this is a very supportive and knowledgeable community!

G’Day from down under NinjaSalad
frow.gif
Welcome!

I love your username!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom