Sos Chicken With Maggots

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farrelly, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Farrelly

Farrelly New Egg

Sep 14, 2011
    I only noticed that she had maggots maybe half an hour ago. She was sprawled on the floor. I rinsed her with cold water and tried to shake the maggots off of her. It is the most revolting thing ever! Can any of you's give me some advise? The poor thing is up and walking, but only if I rumage around her wound. I also shaked and picked off some maggots but theres always more. How long will the chicken survive till they eat her alive? Should I cull her?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    The maggots are there for a reason. A wound. Can you find the wound? Dirty vent? Clean her with warm water, put betadine on any wound you see. You can spray her with Adam's Flea spray to kill the maggots. I do not think she needs culling of you can get her clean and maggotless. Easy to fix.

3. Farrelly

Farrelly New Egg

Sep 14, 2011
    Its a wound. Thanks for the advise, will rinse her now right away.

4. Pip's chicks

Pip's chicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    Central AR
    I use to be a vet tech for an animal hospital that only dealt with dogs and cats, but they would sometimes get wounds that had maggots in them too. I know this is going to sound really strange but starter fluid can be sprayed into the wound where the maggots are. It kills them almost instantly and they drop off... then wash with warm betadine water to clean out the wound. I would suspect she would need some antibiotics too. I know sometimes we would have to do a repeat cleaning the following day. Keep us posted on how she does and good luck!

5. Farrelly

Farrelly New Egg

Sep 14, 2011
    Pip's chicks :

I use to be a vet tech for an animal hospital that only dealt with dogs and cats, but they would sometimes get wounds that had maggots in them too. I know this is going to sound really strange but starter fluid can be sprayed into the wound where the maggots are. It kills them almost instantly and they drop off... then wash with warm betadine water to clean out the wound. I would suspect she would need some antibiotics too. I know sometimes we would have to do a repeat cleaning the following day. Keep us posted on how she does and good luck!

thanks, rinsed her in liquid for gettin maggots off sheep - hope it works the same - will keep u posted!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by