SOS: Dying Baby Chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gresh, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have a distressing problem with some chicks I ordered from IDEAL Hatchery awhile ago. Three have been infected with a very strange disease that I do not quite know how to put in words. However, I will do my best in describing the symptoms:

1. Stiffness/paralysis of limbs
    2. Difficulty breathing
    3. Drooping wings
    4. Loss of appetite
    5. Stunted Growth
    6. Noticeably uneven growth in feet/legs
    7. Flopping/rolling around leading to death (in one of the chicks)

I did some internet research on this and came across a site that described this disease, only it said that it is often accompanied by blisters on the chick's breast and another symptom I've forgotten. I don't remember the name of the disease, but I believe it was abbreviated "MS".

I don't know what to do about these chicks. One of them died shortly after shipment, and the other two went on a fairly quick decline in the ensuing days. I gave them all the essentials: clean water and bedding, medicated chick starter feed, water-soluble vitamins (first few days after shipment), an average of 95 degrees for temperature, excellent light, and a draft-free brooder. Does anyone know if these chicks could survive to be healthy breeders/egg layers, or would they be pretty much useless? Also, the two remaining chicks seem to be recovering a bit. However, if they recovered, would they carry the disease to the rest of my flock? (I have quarantined them.) If they cannot grow up healthily or if they will pass this disease to my other chickens, does anyone know of some humane, relatively painless ways to euthanize them?

Thanks, and God bless!

2. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Maybe its mareks

3. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Good suggestion, but I don't think so. Chicks only contract Marek's at two weeks +, and my chicks arrived as one-day olds already infected. Also, they were vaccinated against Marek's. Part of me sort of wishes it was Marek's because you can just vaccinate the rest of your flock. Thanks anyway! [​IMG]

4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Did you try contacting Ideal? Could they be having a reaction to the Marek's vaccine?

5. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    I've not ordered chicks from online, but I'm wondering if you contacted the seller? Wonder if they've had problems at the hatchery that they didn't know about until after they shipped? Don't know if there is a warranty or not. Wish you the best as our chickens are so precious to us.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Not Marek's, not old enough.

I would call Ideal and give them the details, hopefully if they know, they will be honest about it.
    If they get over 100 degrees while being shipped, that can kill them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by